Research: Active Video Games Can Enhance Learning

December 9, 2010 -

Playing "active" video games such as those found on the Wii (and now via Kinect and Move) can enhance learning for students, says a new study by Dr Andrew Manley from Leeds Metropolitan University in London. Manley presents his findings today at the British Psychological Society’s Division of Sport and Exercise conference in London.

The study used 130 sports and exercise undergraduates to test the effectiveness of AVGs. Subjects played traditional games such as quoits/hoopla and darts, and multiple Nintendo Wii games (Sports Resort, PDC Championship Darts, Sonic and Mario at the Olympic Games). Afterwards, students completed questionnaires that gauged their levels of enjoyment, satisfaction, engagement and academic motivation.

The findings showed that active video games (AVGs) were as effective as traditional games in creating a learning environment that students found exciting.

Students comments included:

"More Nintendo Wii!!"

"Really good and different way of putting the information across"

"I like these seminars…they are fun whilst putting across an educational aim"

"The increased sophistication of AVG technology provides teachers with new ways to engage students," said Manley. "As AVGs can increase motivation and interest, they represent an effective resource for enhancing students’ understanding of new and complex ideas."

Source: Leads Metropolitan University

Comments

Re: Research: Active Video Games Can Enhance Learning

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that motion-controlled games had much educational merit, but I'm probably the worst possible judge of that since I have hardly played any. Games that I played growing up such as Zelda and Final Fantasy, with their swathes of text, certainly helped my reading ability. I remember that I always had to set the text speed to it's fastest setting (on games that had such a setting) since I found the default too slow. Also, fast-paced games are known to increase hand-eye co-ordination and manual dexterity.

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

WonderkarpFCC appears to be kicking ass today01/29/2015 - 4:11pm
Matthew WilsonThat is why I said "every market". for example totalbescuit has TWC, and the best he can get atm is 10/10.01/29/2015 - 1:58pm
Andrew EisenTWC offers speeds that high, at least in my area. (Standard is 15Mpbs)01/29/2015 - 1:54pm
Matthew Wilson@prh I still have my doubts. if anything the big winner is Comcast. they are the only isp in the us that can provide that speed in every market they serve. att, verizon, and twc cant or at least dont.01/29/2015 - 1:50pm
Andrew EisenTrailer for Ted 2 and it looks like it won't simply be a rehash of the first. That's encouraging! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3AVcCggRnU01/29/2015 - 1:49pm
prh99It's nice to see an FCC chair who isn't just there to facilitate monopoly building for cable and telecom. Basically not a dingo.01/29/2015 - 1:46pm
Wonderkarpmine was grandia 201/29/2015 - 1:39pm
Matthew Wilsonoh btw only about 5.6 percent of the us has broadband now.01/29/2015 - 1:21pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.theverge.com/2015/1/29/7932653/fcc-changed-definition-broadband-25mbps did not think the fcc would go through with it.01/29/2015 - 1:16pm
Andrew EisenI know, right? Don't you dare think the fact that I buy all your games makes this sort of behavior okay, TT Games!01/29/2015 - 12:57pm
IanCHow dare thy release games that do well both commercially and critically. How dare they. (refer to the Lego games)01/29/2015 - 12:55pm
Infophile@Wonderkarp: Tales of Innocence. Was in the final dungeon, when I accidentally left my 3DS on an airplane and couldn't get it back. Lost both the game and the system. Got a new system, but not the game (not fun enough to be worth replaying)01/29/2015 - 12:10pm
Andrew EisenOh, thank goodness. There will be at least two console LEGO games this year. For a moment I was worried there! (LEGO Jurassic World, LEGO Marvel's Avengers plus LEGO Ninjago for handheld.)01/29/2015 - 12:08pm
prh99Cminer: It's the only way to monetize Nintendo game videos. Otherwise Nintendo content IDs them and take all the AD revenue. Also it's only covers a small portion of their catalog.01/29/2015 - 12:06pm