Research: Active Video Games Can Enhance Learning

December 9, 2010 -

Playing "active" video games such as those found on the Wii (and now via Kinect and Move) can enhance learning for students, says a new study by Dr Andrew Manley from Leeds Metropolitan University in London. Manley presents his findings today at the British Psychological Society’s Division of Sport and Exercise conference in London.

The study used 130 sports and exercise undergraduates to test the effectiveness of AVGs. Subjects played traditional games such as quoits/hoopla and darts, and multiple Nintendo Wii games (Sports Resort, PDC Championship Darts, Sonic and Mario at the Olympic Games). Afterwards, students completed questionnaires that gauged their levels of enjoyment, satisfaction, engagement and academic motivation.

The findings showed that active video games (AVGs) were as effective as traditional games in creating a learning environment that students found exciting.

Students comments included:

"More Nintendo Wii!!"

"Really good and different way of putting the information across"

"I like these seminars…they are fun whilst putting across an educational aim"

"The increased sophistication of AVG technology provides teachers with new ways to engage students," said Manley. "As AVGs can increase motivation and interest, they represent an effective resource for enhancing students’ understanding of new and complex ideas."

Source: Leads Metropolitan University

Comments

Re: Research: Active Video Games Can Enhance Learning

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that motion-controlled games had much educational merit, but I'm probably the worst possible judge of that since I have hardly played any. Games that I played growing up such as Zelda and Final Fantasy, with their swathes of text, certainly helped my reading ability. I remember that I always had to set the text speed to it's fastest setting (on games that had such a setting) since I found the default too slow. Also, fast-paced games are known to increase hand-eye co-ordination and manual dexterity.

MaskedPixelanteIt's a bunch of people whining about boycotting/pirating Trails in the Sky FC because XSEED didn't license the Japanese dub track, which consists of about 10 lines per character.07/29/2014 - 11:27am
Sleaker@MP - devolver Digital issued a twitter statement saying they would replace the NISA pledge.07/29/2014 - 10:57am
E. Zachary KnightIs that a discussion about RIAA member music labels?07/29/2014 - 10:48am
MaskedPixelantehttp://steamcommunity.com/app/251150/discussions/0/43099722329318860/ In this thread: Idiots who don't understand how licensing works.07/29/2014 - 9:20am
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.joystiq.com/2014/07/28/gaymerx-in-dire-straits-after-nis-america-allegedly-backs-out-of/ NISA backs out of GaymerX support, but it seems like the only people crying foul are GaymerX.07/29/2014 - 6:30am
Papa MidnightIt's not bad so far, but I am honestly not sure what to make of it (or where it's going for that matter)07/28/2014 - 9:44pm
Matthew Wilsonis it any good?07/28/2014 - 9:36pm
Papa Midnight"Love Child" on HBO -- anyone else watching this?07/28/2014 - 9:27pm
MaskedPixelanteNah, I'm fine purple monkey dishwasher.07/28/2014 - 4:05pm
Sleaker@MP - I hope you didn't suffer a loss of your mental faculties attempting that.07/28/2014 - 3:48pm
MaskedPixelanteOK, so my brief research looking at GameFAQs forums (protip, don't do that if you wish to keep your sanity intact.), the 3DS doesn't have the power to run anything more powerful than the NES/GBC/GG AND run the 3DS system in the background.07/28/2014 - 11:01am
ZenMatthew, the 3DS already has GBA games in the form of the ambassador tittles. And I an just as curious about them not releasing them on there like they did the NES ones. I do like them on the Wii U as well, but seems weird. And where are the N64 games?07/28/2014 - 10:40am
james_fudgeNo. They already cut the price. Unless they release a new version that has a higher price point.07/28/2014 - 10:19am
E. Zachary KnightMatthew, It most likely is. The question is whether Nintendo wants to do it.07/28/2014 - 10:12am
Matthew WilsonI am sure the 3ds im more then powerful enough to emulate a GBA game.07/28/2014 - 9:54am
Sleaker@IanC - while the processor is effectively the same or very similar, the issue is how they setup the peripheral hardware. It would probably require creating some kind of emulation for the 3DS to handle interfacing with the audio and input methods for GBA07/28/2014 - 9:30am
Sleaker@EZK - hmmm, that makes sense. I could have sworn I had played GB/GBC games on it too though (emud of course)07/28/2014 - 9:23am
E. Zachary KnightSleaker, the DS has a built in GBA chipset in the system. That is why it played GBA games. The GBA had a seperate chipset for GB and GBColor games. The DS did not have that GB/GBC chipset and that is why the DS could not play GB and GBC games.07/28/2014 - 7:25am
IanCI dont think Nintendo ever gave reason why GBA games a reason why GBA games aren't on the 3DS eshop. The 3DS uses chips that are backwards compatable with the GBA ob GBA processor, after all.07/28/2014 - 6:46am
Sleakerhmmm that's odd I could play GBA games natively in my original DS.07/28/2014 - 1:39am