Video Game Industry Has Best November Ever

December 9, 2010 -

Sales of video games rose 8 percent in November to $2.99 billion, according to data from research firm NPD Group. November's numbers were driven by Kinect, and sales from Activision's Call of Duty: Black Ops. Year-to-date sales were still down 5 percent to $14.06 billion, despite a good November.

Accessory sales were up 69 percent to $413 million thanks to Kinect - and Sony's Move to some degree, while hardware sales rose 2 percent to $1.08 billion, and software rose 4 percent to $1.46 billion.

Call of Duty: Black Ops was the top-selling game in November, with 8.4 million units sold.

The Nintendo DS remained the top-selling gaming device (over 1.5 million sold in November), but the Xbox 360 saw a 68 percent sales increase of 1.37 million consoles. Some of that came from bundles that included the Kinect and games.

Overall November was a great month for sales. NPD Group said that last month was the "best November on record in terms of new physical retail sales," ahead of November 2008 by approximately $30 million.

Comments

Re: Video Game Industry Has Best November Ever

But, but, but... I thought "in this economy" everything was horrible.

Seriously, I think "in this economy" is becoming a phrase that people parrot without even thinking about it. Like "good morning" or "how's it going'?", because if that many people have $300 - $500 to throw at a video game system (which, let's face it, is a luxury after, oh, I dunno, rent and food) then the economy can't be doing all that badly.

Re: Video Game Industry Has Best November Ever

But, but, but... I thought piracy was killing the industry!

Re: Video Game Industry Has Best November Ever

Damn, you beat me to it!

-Greevar

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

MechaCrashYeah, even I think IP needs to dial it back.05/22/2015 - 12:35am
Mattsworknamesays05/21/2015 - 11:17pm
Andrew EisenThat's an... interesting way to interpret that.05/21/2015 - 8:36pm
Goth_SkunkAnd re BBC vs Rockstar: Ahh. I missed that. Woops!05/21/2015 - 8:33pm
DocMelonheadYou could say that the Mary Sue only interested in Gender issues in pop culture, and they only see GamerGate as a Hate group that fight for the oppressive status quo.05/21/2015 - 8:22pm
MechaCrashWell, can't blame him for not expanding on it and missing stories here. Sealioning people demanding proof of claims and then calling them liars when they provide it is busy work!05/21/2015 - 8:20pm
Andrew EisenRe: Mary Sue - Uh, why exactly? Re: Rockstar - Yep, we reported that earlier today.05/21/2015 - 8:12pm