Video Game Industry Has Best November Ever

December 9, 2010 -

Sales of video games rose 8 percent in November to $2.99 billion, according to data from research firm NPD Group. November's numbers were driven by Kinect, and sales from Activision's Call of Duty: Black Ops. Year-to-date sales were still down 5 percent to $14.06 billion, despite a good November.

Accessory sales were up 69 percent to $413 million thanks to Kinect - and Sony's Move to some degree, while hardware sales rose 2 percent to $1.08 billion, and software rose 4 percent to $1.46 billion.

Call of Duty: Black Ops was the top-selling game in November, with 8.4 million units sold.

The Nintendo DS remained the top-selling gaming device (over 1.5 million sold in November), but the Xbox 360 saw a 68 percent sales increase of 1.37 million consoles. Some of that came from bundles that included the Kinect and games.

Overall November was a great month for sales. NPD Group said that last month was the "best November on record in terms of new physical retail sales," ahead of November 2008 by approximately $30 million.

Comments

Re: Video Game Industry Has Best November Ever

But, but, but... I thought "in this economy" everything was horrible.

Seriously, I think "in this economy" is becoming a phrase that people parrot without even thinking about it. Like "good morning" or "how's it going'?", because if that many people have $300 - $500 to throw at a video game system (which, let's face it, is a luxury after, oh, I dunno, rent and food) then the economy can't be doing all that badly.

Re: Video Game Industry Has Best November Ever

But, but, but... I thought piracy was killing the industry!

Re: Video Game Industry Has Best November Ever

Damn, you beat me to it!

-Greevar

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm