UK MP Watson Disappointed in Panorama Show on Game Addiction

December 13, 2010 -

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz last week, Tom Watson, Member of Parliament for Bromwich East, said that he was disappointed in the Panorama special on game addiction that aired on BBC 1 last Monday in the United Kingdom.

Watson had hoped for a balanced story on the subject that explored both the positive and negative aspects of gaming.

"It was a heavily editorialised piece," said Watson to GameIndustry.biz. "I wish they'd reached out a little bit more to talk to other people. They could have talked to some of the people who are doing very positive things with games - they could have talked to Graham Brown-Martin, he could have put them in touch with some of the greatest teachers in the country who are capturing the imagination of young people every day using off-the-shelf game packages."

Watson is a proponent of gaming and the games industry in the United Kingdom. In the past he has supported tax breaks for the games industry and has pushed games into the Parliament agenda when he felt the need to.

He went on to say that it was a pity that the special focused on the bad things video games can do to children, and added that anything done to excess is a bad thing.

Source: GI.biz

Comments

Re: UK MP Watson Disappointed in Panorama Show on Game ...

But then it wouldn't be shocking!!!

Think of the children! The poor children that can't think for themselves, and the parents can't watch them either. Only the politicians know what's right.

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm