FTC Chairman Endorses Net Neutrality Plan

December 15, 2010 -

Federal Trade Commission Chairman Jon Leibowitz says that he supports the net neutrality proposal put together by FCC chairman Julius Genachowski. In an interview with the Huffington Post Leibowitz said the he supports the new proposals, and sees them as the best first step in getting some kind of net neutrality rules in place.

"There's a little disconnect between the reality of net neutrality and the big fight of net neutrality," said Leibowitz, speaking to the critics that believe it is all about government control of the Internet.

The rest of the interview deals with privacy, which the chairman has been vigorously pushing for this month. Read it here.

The FCC votes on net neutrality December 21.

Source: The Hill

Comments

Re: FTC Chairman Endorses Net Neutrality Plan

Internet is big money now.  Everyone wants their in on how to get into it, policitians included.

Its just most people don't really understand how the internet works on a technicial level and so jump to conclusions and come up with thier own vision of how it works so it makes 'sense' to them.

A lot of crap they want to do, is at this moment just down right impossible, or more hurtful to the net than helpful.

The CIA doesn't even have the capabilities to monitor everything that goes on the net.  They like to make you thin they do, but a lot of crap slips through, or is known about but resource wise is unable to do anything about.

Why do you think a lot of private trackers for torrent sites stay up for so long?  Trust me the government knows about it, but they don't give any crap about it because its a small scale, hell they rarely even care about the big ones, they let the enterinment industry deal with it because why bother?

The problem with the entertainment industry is that they don't have as advanced tools as the government does. So they do the next best thing....whine to the government over and over again until the government says 'shut the hell up' and puts these laws into place to shut up people from whinning about it.

Moral of the story?  Whine about anything for long enough and you'll get it.

Re: FTC Chairman Endorses Net Neutrality Plan

Whine? It's not about the biggest whiner. If you grease enough palms, you can get what you want. The new policy the FCC is voting on shows that they've been bought and we're going to catch hell for it. The Comcast/NBC merger is going to go through without objection and ISPs will start charging us by the megabit. Internet service will become even more expensive and slow compared to the rest of the developed nations. We're likely to slip from the 20th best network to the dead last if this goes unabated.

-Greevar

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

Re: FTC Chairman Endorses Net Neutrality Plan

The reality of this net neutrality is that its not real net neutrality, its really a plan to give ips the right to screw over there consumers with bs stats.

Poll