Report: Global Mobile App Market Worth $35 Million by 2014

December 15, 2010 -

Angry Birds is popular, and according to an analysis of sales of the popular app, it is the start of a new wave in the mobile app business, according to a new report from the International Data Corp. In its coverage of that report, ReadWriteWeb predicted that Mobile apps will grow from 10.9 billion downloads this year to 76.9 billion downloads in 2014.

ReadWriteWeb also predicts that the mobile application business will generate $35 billion in worldwide revenue.

The Angry Birds franchise has had 42 million downloads on multiple platforms including iOS, Android, Facebook, and more, according to developer Rovio.

The IDC report echoes the feelings of other analysts that predict substantial growth in the mobile app market.

"Mobile app developers will 'appify' just about every interaction you can think of in your physical and digital worlds," said Scott Ellison, vice president, Mobile and Wireless research at IDC. "The extension of mobile apps to every aspect of our personal and business lives will be one of the hallmarks of the new decade with enormous opportunities for virtually every business sector."

Sources: CBS News, ReadWriteWeb

Comments

Re: Report: Global Mobile App Market Worth $35 Million by ...

I just wish they would put a paid, ad-free version on Android Marketplace.  So sick of those ads, I would gladly pay a few bucks to eliminate them.

Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm
Andrew EisenGP Movie Night!08/31/2015 - 8:41pm
Big PermEveyone should be too busy with phantom pain to notice GP is down. Hail Vidya!08/31/2015 - 8:40pm
Goth_SkunkBut such a hangout *could* be a neat idea. It could be used, for example, for all us GPers to get together and watch the new FemFreq video, and then discuss amongst ourselves in real time what our thoughts are.08/31/2015 - 8:38pm
Goth_Skunkcacophany of voices all trying to talk at once.08/31/2015 - 8:37pm
Goth_SkunkVideo is entirely optional. The only criticism I have of the hangout system is that I don't believe the moderator has the ability to "give the floor" to any one particular individual. Without mutual respect and tact, a Google Hangout can be reduced to a08/31/2015 - 8:37pm
Andrew EisenWell, I can't stream anything because I'm at work all day (still am).08/31/2015 - 8:28pm
Goth_SkunkIt seemed simple enough to me. During a shift at work I was bored and hopped on a Google Hangout that was GamerGate themed and streamed on YouTube. Granted, I was not the host, but joining in seemed fairly straightforward.08/31/2015 - 8:24pm
Andrew EisenSo, like a space where we can all hang out and chat while the site is down? I can dig it. No idea how to do that though. Is there a way to create a public chat in Google Hangout?08/31/2015 - 8:23pm
benohawk@Goth Thirded, I think the motion carries08/31/2015 - 8:17pm
PHX Corp@Goth_skunk Seconded08/31/2015 - 7:43pm
Goth_SkunkWith GP going down for maintenance, I propose that Andrew do a daily Google Hangout where we can all participate until it comes back.08/31/2015 - 7:21pm
RedMageOnly NOW? Not even when they threw Silent Hills and PT under a bus?08/31/2015 - 7:11pm
WymorenceAnd with this, Konami needs to go die in a ditch somewhere08/31/2015 - 7:05pm
PHX Corphttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1104842 NeoGAF: MGSV FOBs beyond the first must be bought via microtransactions08/31/2015 - 6:54pm
RedMageKonami: Proudly living in dodoland since 2010 or so.08/31/2015 - 6:51pm
WymorenceSo tell me again, Konami, why you've still got physical retail copies of your game...?08/31/2015 - 6:48pm
Andrew EisenHa! The only thing on Metal Gear Solid 5's PC disc release is a Steam installer! http://www.destructoid.com/the-only-file-on-the-pc-retail-version-of-the-phantom-pain-is-a-steam-installer-308547.phtml08/31/2015 - 6:39pm