Democrats Push for More Teeth in Net Neutrality Plan

December 17, 2010 -

It seems like no one besides Internet and wireless service providers like Net Neutrality as it is currently drafted. Rep. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) and other Democratic House members have provided the FCC with a wish list of items they want to see in the proposal to be voted on December 21.

In a letter sent to the FCC on Friday, Markey and other House members asked for four key items:

1. Nondiscrimination (a ban on paid prioritization)
  2. application of rules to both wired and wireless broadband
  3. Narrow exceptions for managed services
  4. A broad definition of Internet access services

The current draft of the net neutrality proposal does not deal with any of these issues. No changes have been made to the draft document, despite a multitude of letters sent by lawmakers, so we will have to wait and see if any changes are made prior to a vote. One FCC commissioner, Democrat Michael Copps has suggested that some changes need to be made before a vote. We'll see.

Source: BroadcastingCable.com

Comments

Re: Democrats Push for More Teeth in Net Neutrality Plan

I applaud this, after all of Genachowski's bluster he gave us the weakest version of NN a person could make.

Of course I have little hope anything constructive wil be done. We need line sharing yesterday. An industry with so few competitors needs regulation to change that.

Re: Democrats Push for More Teeth in Net Neutrality Plan

A broad definition of internet services? I'd rather have clear definitions that aren't open to interpretation. Nevertheless, those 4 points should be included, especially applying rules equally to wired and wireless connections.

-Greevar

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

MechaCrashYeah, even I think IP needs to dial it back.05/22/2015 - 12:35am
Mattsworknamesays05/21/2015 - 11:17pm
Andrew EisenThat's an... interesting way to interpret that.05/21/2015 - 8:36pm
Goth_SkunkAnd re BBC vs Rockstar: Ahh. I missed that. Woops!05/21/2015 - 8:33pm
DocMelonheadYou could say that the Mary Sue only interested in Gender issues in pop culture, and they only see GamerGate as a Hate group that fight for the oppressive status quo.05/21/2015 - 8:22pm
MechaCrashWell, can't blame him for not expanding on it and missing stories here. Sealioning people demanding proof of claims and then calling them liars when they provide it is busy work!05/21/2015 - 8:20pm
Andrew EisenRe: Mary Sue - Uh, why exactly? Re: Rockstar - Yep, we reported that earlier today.05/21/2015 - 8:12pm
Goth_SkunkRockstar is suing the BBC. http://ow.ly/NgzDm05/21/2015 - 8:00pm
Goth_SkunkWhy I don't take The Mary Sue seriously, and why you shouldn't either: http://ow.ly/Ngzkk05/21/2015 - 7:55pm