Republicans Amend Bill to Take Down Net Neutrality

December 17, 2010 -

The highest-ranking Republican member of the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee has filed an amendment to an appropriations bill to put a hold on funding for any new net neutrality rules passed by the FCC. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison's (R-Texas) amendment was co-signed by John Ensign (R-Nevada) and six other Republican lawmakers.

The amendment to a bill for military and veterans construction projects would "prohibit the FCC from using any appropriated funds to adopt, implement or otherwise litigate any network neutrality based rules, protocols or standards."

The FCC is set to vote on net neutrality rules December 21 at its December meeting.

Source: Washington Post

Comments

Re: Republicans Amend Bill to Take Down Net Neutrality

Riders like this on bills that have nothing to do with the issue really anger me. Our whole political system in the US is tragically broken. We need serious and substantial campaign finance reform to get corporate interests out of Washington. Of course the people who are currently the best at the current system are loathe to change it, so I think we'll be stuck with our corrupt government for quite a while.

Re: Republicans Amend Bill to Take Down Net Neutrality

I move that all ISPs block Republican websites, since the opposition of Net Neutrality will allow them to do so

岩「if Phyllis Schlafly wants to undo Women's Rights, she should lead by example and get back in the kitchen」

岩「…I can see why Hasselbeck's worried about fake guns killing fake people. afterall, she's a fake journalist on a fake news channel」

Re: Republicans Amend Bill to Take Down Net Neutrality

Well, since it'd be easier for Campaign staff to pay off ISPs to block access to opposing sites....

Re: Republicans Amend Bill to Take Down Net Neutrality

New GOP motto: By the corporations, for the corporations (much more blatantly than the Democrats).

Re: Republicans Amend Bill to Take Down Net Neutrality

Ya but when all politician comes with that tag....everything gets samey....

---

Re: Republicans Amend Bill to Take Down Net Neutrality

"a bill for military and veterans construction projects"

Ah, so they wrap themselves in the flag and dare people to vote against it.

The week after all three of them contributed to a filibuster of health benefits for 9/11 first responders.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate nearly every politician in Washington?

PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm