Study: Eating Lunch at Your Desk Might Make You Fat

December 17, 2010 -

A new study by the University of Bristol (United Kingdom) found that those who eat at their desk are more likely to become fat. Experts were looking into how memory and attention span affect an indvidual's craving for food.

The study asked participant to eat a lunch consisting of nine different types of foods while playing a game of Solitaire on a computer. Another group was given the same kind of meal but did not play the game.

The conclusion? The group that played Solitaire while eating the meal felt less full after about half-an-hour. The people who ate and played could not remember the order in which they consumed the food either. They also ate twice as many snacks as the other group.

Researchers concluded that distractions during meals lead to people consuming more food, which makes them gain weight.

"When people think about memory, they think about remembering shopping lists and people’s names and things like that,” lead author Dr. Jeff Brunstrom told the Daily Mail. “But the reality is that memory helps us without even thinking about it. It helps us remember how to walk to work and we are trying to suggest it affects appetite."

Source: Daily Mail

Comments

Re: Study: Eating Lunch at Your Desk Might Make You Fat

Crap, I eat at my desk........I thought my weight gain was just from having a cubicle job. hurgh...

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm