FBI Raids Texas Business for Operation Payback Leads

December 30, 2010 -

According to a report in The Smoking Gun, the FBI has raided a Texas business and seized a computer server that investigators allege was used as part of "Operation Payback."

The FBI began an investigation earlier this month after PayPal "reported that an Internet activist group using the names '4chan' and 'Anonymous' appeared to be organizing a distributed denial of service ('DDoS') attack against the company," according to an FBI affidavit.

The attack was part of an online effort to punish corporations that turned their backs on Wikileaks and Julian Assange. Other targets included Visa, Mastercard, Sarah Palin’s web site, and the Swedish prosecutor pursuing sex assault charges against Assange.

On December 9, PayPal provided the FBI with eight IP addresses that hosted an "Anonymous" Internet Relay Chat (IRC) site allegedly used to "organize denial of service attacks." According to the FBI, the unnamed administrators of the IRC "acted as the command and control" for an army of computers.

While warrants have been issued and locations have been searched around the world, it sounds like law enforcement is gathering information and has not located any specific targets for criminal prosecution. In many instances, searches at many locations found that "anonymous" users had logged in remotely from some other place.

Source: Boing, Boing

Comments

Re: FBI Raids Texas Business for Operation Payback Leads

Huh. Now I wonder if 4chan will try to get the FBI to find out who attacked them?

----------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------- Debates are like merry go rounds. Two people take their positions then they go through the same points over and over and over again. Then when it's over they have the same positions they started in.

Re: FBI Raids Texas Business for Operation Payback Leads

Must be nice to have that kind of power behind you in a conflict.

Re: FBI Raids Texas Business for Operation Payback Leads

I tought the whole point of anonymous was be anonymous...

--- Maurício Gomes twitter.com/agfgames

--- MaurĂ­cio Gomes twitter.com/agfgames

Re: FBI Raids Texas Business for Operation Payback Leads

Yep, sounds like Anon...

PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm