Happy New Year

December 31, 2010 -

The staff at GamePolitics would like to wish all of our loyal readers a safe and Happy New Year.

I hope that 2011 will be the year when..

..the highest court in the land rules that video games are protected under the first amendment and that only parents have the right to control what their children play.

..that the FCC protects consumers from usage-based schemes and content services (Netflix, Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Steam, etc.) from broadband service providers.

..that DRM becomes less popular with developers and publishers.

..that the governments of the world realize that there must be some sort of balance when it comes to protecting intellectual property rights.

..that rights holders or their lawyers decide that there is no money in suing thousands of file-sharers.

..and that game publishers realize that there is more money in providing services than in punishing used game buyers.

Happy New Year to all.

Comments

Re: Happy New Year

Belated happy new years to you all :)

---------

James Fletcher, member of ECA Canada

Re: Happy New Year

Bonne année, bonne santé !

Re: Happy New Year

Gamestop already does. Used copies of Madden, NCAA, Tiger Woods, and NFS: Hot Pursuit are $47.99, instead of the customary $54.99. Also, you have the ability to get a full refund when you realize that EA is only giving you a half-finished game.

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

Re: Happy New Year

A shame they don't do that with all games since they are unfinished.....

---

Re: Happy New Year

I'm guessing you meant to reply to me.  If so, good on GameStop.  Although, used game buyers are now only getting a $2 discount instead of $5 (assuming they want the online stuff) but hey, that's better than paying full retail for a used game.

I have no idea what you're talking about when you refer to a "half-finished game."

Andrew Eisen

Re: Happy New Year

>punishing used game buyers.

*sigh*

Nobody's being 'punished' for anything- nobody is losing anything they had before. If I can't play FIFA 11 online because I bought it used, it's hardly like they've taken anything away, as I couldn't play FIFA 11 online before buying it.

FIFA 11 might well be not as good a product than FIFA 10 (or whichever was the last one to have no code) owing to its online mode being essentially absent, but that is categorically not the same as punishing anyone.

/b

Re: Happy New Year

If you have to buy anything extra to get a used game up to a new games content level then yes you are being punished for buying used, peroid.....

---

Re: Happy New Year

Also, it's worth pointing out that buying FIFA 11 used does not prevent you from playing online.

I think what James is getting at is used game buyers aren't getting as good a deal as before.  Personally, I put that on the retailers.  Might want to look into lowering those used game prices GameStop as there's currently not much insentive to buy used when the consumer is looking to get the total package.

Andrew Eisen

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

Andrew EisenThe story you just linked to? The story you asked if anyone had seen? Yes, THAT obnoxiousness. I've heard it parroted for nearly two years now.11/27/2014 - 7:57pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: That shes an ex con man?11/27/2014 - 7:54pm
Andrew EisenI've heard the same obnoxious horse poo for years. It's nothing new.11/27/2014 - 7:45pm
ZippyDSMleeAlso anyone see this? http://guardianlv.com/2014/11/anita-sarkeesian-unmasked-feminist-icon-or-con-artist/11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
ZippyDSMleeEvil within is a badly designed game.11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
Andrew EisenSure but you said "widens," hence my confusion. Looking into it, yep, there's a tweak to completely re-frame the image, adding more info at the top and bottom. You apparently need a fairly beefy rig to keep it running smooth when you do that though.11/27/2014 - 6:48pm
Matthew Wilsonthere is vertical fov, not just horizontal fov11/27/2014 - 6:38pm
Andrew EisenWell, you can widen it to 3:1 or even 10:1 but I don't know why you'd want to. From what I understand it's the missing visual info at the top and bottom that some object to, not that there isn't enough on either side.11/27/2014 - 6:36pm
Matthew WilsonI think it widenss the fov, so you get to see more.11/27/2014 - 6:31pm
Andrew EisenI don't see how as doing so would not add any visual information to the top or bottom of the screen.11/27/2014 - 6:04pm
Matthew Wilsonfrom what I read, getting rid of the black bars and stretching it out made for a better play experience.11/27/2014 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenFrom what I hear, there's a ton of "look up and shoot at the guys above you" stuff in the game that the wider frame doesn't accommodate such actions well.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Andrew EisenHaving a game run in scope is not necessarily a bad thing but like any aspect ratio, you have to compose your shots correctly.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Evil Within was pretty bad and to make it worse the way the screen size made it hard for you to see even on a big screen it really hurt the game. Being Artistic is great but when you focus on art rather than what sells you run the risk of that happen11/27/2014 - 5:33pm
Matthew WilsonI kinda hope this is not true. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/nintendo_might_not_be_making_more_gamecube_controller_adapters_at_the_moment11/27/2014 - 1:34pm
Matthew WilsonI saw that. I wish people would stop preording, but sadly that will never happen.11/27/2014 - 1:26pm
Papa MidnightUbisoft has cancelled the Season Pass for Assassin's Creed: Unity (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2ni2ac/ubisoft_cancel_season_pass_for_ac_unity/)11/27/2014 - 1:08pm
NeenekoBut now I can use the christmas discount justification too,11/27/2014 - 11:46am
NeenekoI am also sorely temped by Civ:BE, mostly because I have a demo coming up and I know my productivity will tank.11/27/2014 - 11:45am
MaskedPixelanteThe Evil Within is only a month old, right? And it's already 66% off...11/27/2014 - 10:29am