2010's Most Prominent Vaporware

January 3, 2011 -

Wired releases its list of 2010's most prominent Vaporware. Can you guess which game is right at the top of the list? Yeah, it is Duke Nukem Forever, though I imagine that by the time 2012 rolls around Gearbox Software will finally make that game a reality.

Other games, software, and gadgets on the 2010 list included Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, L.A. Noire, the Kno Tablet, Netflix on Android, Notion Ink Adam, Chrome OS Laptops, the fan-developed Half-Life remake Black Mesa, 64-Bit Flash Player, Half Life 2: Episode 3, and iPhone 4 in White. Honorable mentions included Flick Kick Football (PikPok), Shibuya (Nevercenter), Spirits (Spaces Of Play), Tentacles (Press Play), and Trainyard (Matt Rix).

It is certainly an all-encompassing list of products. Check it out here.

Comments

Re: 2010's Most Prominent Vaporware

DNF is actually at the bottom of the list since the article starts at the end of the list and works its way to #1 (the white iPhone).  In fact, DNF is more of an honorable mention since it's #11 on a top 10 list.  From the article:

"So while the Duke isn't tops this year, and isn't even technically eligible for a Vaporware award, he still gets an honorable mention. After all, we're still waiting for DNF to arrive. Until then, Duke 'em if you got 'em."

Anyway, I'm kind of disappointed that DNF looks like it will be shipping.  I don't care about the game one way or the other, but the meta-joke of DNF's development was a thing of beauty.  My favorite was the list of unrelated things that occurred during the period of DNF's development: http://duke.a-13.net/ (especially halfway down where they get to the list of video game releases).

Poll