UK Police use PSA's, Games to Talk About Rape

January 3, 2011 -

Police in Thames Valley, England have created a "video game" campaign where participants choose an action in a scenario similar to ones they might encounter when out in pubs and bars related to sexual assault. The video game is called Seal the Deal and is available on both YouTube and Facebook.

But the game is only one part of the campaign; another part involves true confessions from convicted rapists.

For example, a 41-year-old from Oxford calling himself "John" admits to raping his girlfriend when he was drunk in 2001 "following a difficult period in their relationship." He agreed to be interviewed as part of the new Don’t Cross the Line serious sexual assault campaign. He said during his interview that he felt "entitled to sex."

The campaign encourages young men to consider the consequences of their actions towards women - particularly when drinking is involved.

Hiding his face and disguising his voice, John said:

"When I finally sobered up from my state, I was overwhelmed with shame and remorse and fear.

I was frightened and scared and I knew I was going to prison.

I pretty much felt it was game over for me.

As soon as you roll through the doors and gates to prison, you just know the door will shut behind you, and it will be shut for however long it is.

For me it was three years.

It’s daunting, you don’t know where you are going and what’s going to happen, I think it’s total fear about what’s going to happen to you.

Most of the general prison population are hated. Sex offenders are really hated. Other sex offenders are segregated from normal prisoners for their own safety: paedophiles, other rapists and just generally not very nice people."

Sadly, John never mentioned his victim during his discussion for the PSM.. The game is located here but does not seem to be playable at this moment in time.

Source: Oxford Mail

Comments

Re: UK Police use PSA's, Games to Talk About Rape

Not too sure if anything as simple as a game or PSA is going to dissuade someone who is mentally capable of rape from doing it.  They are clearly already a sociopath and anything less than serious mental therapy (or perhaps a royal ass-kicking) will have any real effect.

MattsworknameYeah, i got started and then made it through t the first few misions anthen blood borne05/23/2015 - 10:13pm
Goth_SkunkWhich one, Dragon Age?05/23/2015 - 8:20pm
Wonderkarpalso waiting patiently for Batman.05/23/2015 - 7:36pm
MattsworknameIn still trying ot beat that game the first time. Freaking game has so much side questing05/23/2015 - 7:34pm
Goth_SkunkPlaying a third and probably final playthrough of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Once that's done, I'll move on to AC: Unity, most likely, then get caught up on A-list games I have yet to play, like Murdered: Soul Suspect and Shadows of Mordor.05/23/2015 - 6:33pm
MattsworknameIf you own a vita and like monster hunter, but dont like the bs filler that goes with it. Try tokiden kiwmai05/23/2015 - 6:11pm
Matthew Wilsonaparently their servers got crushed, but I dont see the game selling well. Nintendo fans tend not to be fans of competitive fps05/23/2015 - 5:48pm
MattsworknameSPlatton looks intersting, Love the are style, gonna give the game a try with the upcoming test fire05/23/2015 - 4:39pm
PHX Corp@Technogeek, I'm returning for one more Run with the Global testfire05/23/2015 - 3:41pm
WonderkarpI'm bouncing all over the place but right now I'd say I'm playing Super Mario 64 trying to max out the stars. 2 worlds and 2 secret stars to go05/23/2015 - 1:12pm
TechnogeekReminder: Splatoon Global Testfire returns this afternoon/evening.05/23/2015 - 12:45pm
Andrew EisenA bit busy with my 30 Days of Netflix project but I did play through the first world of New Super Mario Bros. 2 at a sushi restaurant last night.05/23/2015 - 10:59am
MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm