3DS May Help Uncover Undiagnosed Vision Problems

January 6, 2011 -

Where did we come from?  Why are we here?  Is it okay for my 6-year-old to play Nintendo 3DS?

These are the questions that have plagued mankind since the beginning of time (give or take).  While we don’t have a solid answer for the first two, a consensus seems to be forming on the third – yes, it’s fine.

In addition to several eye specialists who see nothing wrong with the kiddies using Nintendo’s 3D handheld, the American Optometric Association also chimed in on the 3DS concerns via press release:

“The American Optometric Association (AOA), representing America's family eye doctors (optometrists), says 3D in movies, TV and even 3D on Nintendo's 3DS isn't necessarily bad for adults or children. In fact, optometrists, professional health care providers committed to children's vision and eye health, say 3D viewing may actually help uncover subtle disorders that, left uncorrected, often result in learning difficulties.”

The AOA points out that difficulty viewing 3D displays, be it movies, TV, or the 3DS, may be indicative of undetected vision disorders.  While it’s okay for kids to use the 3DS in 3D mode if their vision is developing normally, parents should be on the lookout for the three Ds of 3D: discomfort, dizziness, or lack of depth.  If children are experiencing them, a comprehensive eye examination is recommended as it’s best to identify and treat vision problems as early as possible.

Via: PR Newswire

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Correspondent Andrew Eisen

Comments

Re: 3DS May Help Uncover Undiagnosed Vision Problems

As a matter of fact, my brother's amblyopia was diagnosed after my grandfather discovered he was unable to see an old 3D photo properly.

Re: 3DS May Help Uncover Undiagnosed Vision Problems

I did not know epileptic shock was vision problem.... /lulz

---