Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

January 7, 2011 -

George "Geohot" Hotz releases a video showing homebrew software running on a jailbroken Ps3 using a modified version of Firmware 3.55.

Hotz, who is known as one of several hackers that cracked the iPhone's security, decrypted "root key" for the PS3 and posted Online. While Holtz has no regrets about doing this, he has emphasized publicly that his hack is intended to enable homebrew software (and the use of Linux), and not for enabling piracy on the system.

Check out the video to the left.

Source: C&VG

Comments

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

Hmm, so, how long before Sony sues this person into the gutter?

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

About as long as it'll take for some dumbass pirate wannabe to make a video that says "Hey! Here's how to play a bunch of free games!"

As much as I know most people don't want to admit it, homebrew = piracy.

Why people want to do such things to their systems is beyond me.

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

I would imagine sooner after that whole R4 mess. Even the possibility of someone ever pirating, even if the device was never intended for that, seems to get the lawyers drooling.

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

Meh it sames time and money when you know something about your consoles eletronics....

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

If you know so much about console's electronics, surely you can think of more legal ways to save time and money, yes?

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

Emulators, here I come.

-------------------- Making sure I retain my INSANITY

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

As long as its PSP/PS2/Xbox and DS then Hell ya!!!

---

Patreon

Deviantart

MattsworknameYeah, i got started and then made it through t the first few misions anthen blood borne05/23/2015 - 10:13pm
Goth_SkunkWhich one, Dragon Age?05/23/2015 - 8:20pm
Wonderkarpalso waiting patiently for Batman.05/23/2015 - 7:36pm
MattsworknameIn still trying ot beat that game the first time. Freaking game has so much side questing05/23/2015 - 7:34pm
Goth_SkunkPlaying a third and probably final playthrough of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Once that's done, I'll move on to AC: Unity, most likely, then get caught up on A-list games I have yet to play, like Murdered: Soul Suspect and Shadows of Mordor.05/23/2015 - 6:33pm
MattsworknameIf you own a vita and like monster hunter, but dont like the bs filler that goes with it. Try tokiden kiwmai05/23/2015 - 6:11pm
Matthew Wilsonaparently their servers got crushed, but I dont see the game selling well. Nintendo fans tend not to be fans of competitive fps05/23/2015 - 5:48pm
MattsworknameSPlatton looks intersting, Love the are style, gonna give the game a try with the upcoming test fire05/23/2015 - 4:39pm
PHX Corp@Technogeek, I'm returning for one more Run with the Global testfire05/23/2015 - 3:41pm
WonderkarpI'm bouncing all over the place but right now I'd say I'm playing Super Mario 64 trying to max out the stars. 2 worlds and 2 secret stars to go05/23/2015 - 1:12pm
TechnogeekReminder: Splatoon Global Testfire returns this afternoon/evening.05/23/2015 - 12:45pm
Andrew EisenA bit busy with my 30 Days of Netflix project but I did play through the first world of New Super Mario Bros. 2 at a sushi restaurant last night.05/23/2015 - 10:59am
MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm