Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

January 7, 2011 -

George "Geohot" Hotz releases a video showing homebrew software running on a jailbroken Ps3 using a modified version of Firmware 3.55.

Hotz, who is known as one of several hackers that cracked the iPhone's security, decrypted "root key" for the PS3 and posted Online. While Holtz has no regrets about doing this, he has emphasized publicly that his hack is intended to enable homebrew software (and the use of Linux), and not for enabling piracy on the system.

Check out the video to the left.

Source: C&VG

Comments

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

Hmm, so, how long before Sony sues this person into the gutter?

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

About as long as it'll take for some dumbass pirate wannabe to make a video that says "Hey! Here's how to play a bunch of free games!"

As much as I know most people don't want to admit it, homebrew = piracy.

Why people want to do such things to their systems is beyond me.

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

I would imagine sooner after that whole R4 mess. Even the possibility of someone ever pirating, even if the device was never intended for that, seems to get the lawyers drooling.

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

Meh it sames time and money when you know something about your consoles eletronics....

---

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

If you know so much about console's electronics, surely you can think of more legal ways to save time and money, yes?

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

Emulators, here I come.

-------------------- Making sure I retain my INSANITY

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

As long as its PSP/PS2/Xbox and DS then Hell ya!!!

---

Poll

Who's responsible for crappy Netflix performance on Verizon?:

MaskedPixelanteIf by "distance themselves from Google Plus" you mean "forcing Google Plus integration in everything", then yes, they are distancing themselves from Google Plus.07/26/2014 - 12:20pm
MechaTama31I wish they would distance G+ from the Play Store, so I could leave reviews and comments again.07/26/2014 - 11:03am
Papa MidnightGoogle+ Integration is coming to Twitch!07/25/2014 - 8:41pm