FreeBSD Running on PS3

January 10, 2011 -

According to this SlashDot report, FreeBSD, the Unix-based free operating system, now runs on PS3 - according to comments from FreeBSD's Nathan Whitehorn. While an earlier report indicated that this was made possible by the recent release of the PS3 cryptography key, the OS was run via a netboot ( remote booting a computer over an IP network without access to a hard disk).

Here is what Whitehorn said on FreeBSD.org:

"Yesterday [January 6], I imported support for the Sony PlayStation 3 into our 64-bit PowerPC port, expanding our game console support into the current generation. There are still a few rough edges due to missing hardware support, but the machine boots and runs FreeBSD stably. These rough edges should be smoothed out in time for the 9.0 release."

He used Sony PlayStation 3 Fat and firmware version 3.21.

Find out more details here.

Source: /.

Comments

Re: FreeBSD Running on PS3

I still dont understand what this root key means. Can i run homebrew easily? I've been dying to get OGR from Distributed.net running on my PS3, but the only way was to install linux, which i don't want to do.

Will this rootkey thing allow me to run homebrew on my system as-is?

Re: FreeBSD Running on PS3

Well, since CFW has already been released and people have been making emulators like crazy...

Yes, you can run virtually any homebrew just fine.

-------------------- Making sure I retain my INSANITY

Re: FreeBSD Running on PS3

You can run pretty much any application that you sign with the key, homebrew, DLC or even an operating system.

Re: FreeBSD Running on PS3

I doubt it. I'm not too familliar with OGR, but unless the library has it's own kernel that it can bootstrap from...

"The chicken or the egg" comes to mind.

MechaTama31Yikes, even with the massive new shoutbox, it still overflowed since I checked this afternoon.05/06/2015 - 11:25pm
Mattsworknameall I know is that whatever else it is, its gonna look good, cause the tech nowadays means you can do so much more with it.05/06/2015 - 9:39pm
Andrew EisenI hope Star Wars hooks me at some point. I'd love to be a fan again.05/06/2015 - 8:54pm
Wonderkarpme and my GF and Brother are going for Star Wars when it releases. We booked everything the moment the release date was announced.05/06/2015 - 8:35pm
Matthew WilsonI went as a kid. no real desire to go back.05/06/2015 - 8:34pm
Andrew EisenI'll go there someday. Just don't have the money or time right now. Need someone to go with too and that makes it even more of a logistical challenge.05/06/2015 - 8:32pm
Wonderkarpthis year I'm going to Disney World so I cant wait till Winter.05/06/2015 - 8:30pm
WonderkarpWinter is the worse....for my wallet05/06/2015 - 8:30pm
Andrew EisenWinter is the worst for me. Especially around Christmas time.05/06/2015 - 8:26pm
Wonderkarpknow what I hate? Month of May. my Sinus's are on fire.05/06/2015 - 8:25pm
Andrew EisenIn other news, I just realized what a mistake it was to start my 30 Days of Netflix project on YouTube the same month Age of Ultron came out.05/06/2015 - 8:24pm
Goth_SkunkI know. :P05/06/2015 - 8:13pm
Andrew EisenGoth - Great. Just don't be a dick about it! (not aimed at you)05/06/2015 - 8:13pm
Matthew Wilson@goth do it in a reasonable manner thought. do not harass her.05/06/2015 - 8:13pm
Mattsworknamelots of gamers fall into that p roblem, as do some feminists and other grooups05/06/2015 - 8:11pm
Goth_SkunkI think when someone is as influential as Sarkeesian is, having and espousing that opinion is dangerous. It has to be challenged. She has to be told, 'No, you're wrong about this.' And her influence should suffer as a result.05/06/2015 - 8:11pm
Mattsworknamegg has its bad actors and most moderate ggs dislike or outright work against them. be careful not to let your own hate or bias make you act like those you accuse05/06/2015 - 8:10pm
Andrew EisenMatt - Hell, sometimes minorities (peoples, opinions, whatever) themselves are just so damn scary to a number of the majority that they get marginalized whether there were so called bad actors or not.05/06/2015 - 8:09pm
Mattsworknamemechacrash, my point was that groups get marked by the actions of minoritys among them. as andrew points out, this isn't just feminist or gg, it's universal due to the wide spread use of social media05/06/2015 - 8:07pm
Andrew EisenI meant there's nothing wrong with having that opinion, not that it's completely unassailable. It's certainly not.05/06/2015 - 8:07pm