FreeBSD Running on PS3

January 10, 2011 -

According to this SlashDot report, FreeBSD, the Unix-based free operating system, now runs on PS3 - according to comments from FreeBSD's Nathan Whitehorn. While an earlier report indicated that this was made possible by the recent release of the PS3 cryptography key, the OS was run via a netboot ( remote booting a computer over an IP network without access to a hard disk).

Here is what Whitehorn said on FreeBSD.org:

"Yesterday [January 6], I imported support for the Sony PlayStation 3 into our 64-bit PowerPC port, expanding our game console support into the current generation. There are still a few rough edges due to missing hardware support, but the machine boots and runs FreeBSD stably. These rough edges should be smoothed out in time for the 9.0 release."

He used Sony PlayStation 3 Fat and firmware version 3.21.

Find out more details here.

Source: /.

Comments

Re: FreeBSD Running on PS3

I still dont understand what this root key means. Can i run homebrew easily? I've been dying to get OGR from Distributed.net running on my PS3, but the only way was to install linux, which i don't want to do.

Will this rootkey thing allow me to run homebrew on my system as-is?

Re: FreeBSD Running on PS3

Well, since CFW has already been released and people have been making emulators like crazy...

Yes, you can run virtually any homebrew just fine.

-------------------- Making sure I retain my INSANITY

Re: FreeBSD Running on PS3

You can run pretty much any application that you sign with the key, homebrew, DLC or even an operating system.

Re: FreeBSD Running on PS3

I doubt it. I'm not too familliar with OGR, but unless the library has it's own kernel that it can bootstrap from...

"The chicken or the egg" comes to mind.

ZippyDSMleeI need one of my 70 games to play....mmmmmmmm05/24/2015 - 9:57am
MattsworknameSpent all night playing blood borne, now trapped in the Nightmare frontier and trying to reach the boss so I can maybe warp out again05/24/2015 - 9:21am
MattsworknameYeah, i got started and then made it through t the first few misions anthen blood borne05/23/2015 - 10:13pm
Goth_SkunkWhich one, Dragon Age?05/23/2015 - 8:20pm
Wonderkarpalso waiting patiently for Batman.05/23/2015 - 7:36pm
MattsworknameIn still trying ot beat that game the first time. Freaking game has so much side questing05/23/2015 - 7:34pm
Goth_SkunkPlaying a third and probably final playthrough of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Once that's done, I'll move on to AC: Unity, most likely, then get caught up on A-list games I have yet to play, like Murdered: Soul Suspect and Shadows of Mordor.05/23/2015 - 6:33pm
MattsworknameIf you own a vita and like monster hunter, but dont like the bs filler that goes with it. Try tokiden kiwmai05/23/2015 - 6:11pm
Matthew Wilsonaparently their servers got crushed, but I dont see the game selling well. Nintendo fans tend not to be fans of competitive fps05/23/2015 - 5:48pm
MattsworknameSPlatton looks intersting, Love the are style, gonna give the game a try with the upcoming test fire05/23/2015 - 4:39pm
PHX Corp@Technogeek, I'm returning for one more Run with the Global testfire05/23/2015 - 3:41pm
WonderkarpI'm bouncing all over the place but right now I'd say I'm playing Super Mario 64 trying to max out the stars. 2 worlds and 2 secret stars to go05/23/2015 - 1:12pm
TechnogeekReminder: Splatoon Global Testfire returns this afternoon/evening.05/23/2015 - 12:45pm
Andrew EisenA bit busy with my 30 Days of Netflix project but I did play through the first world of New Super Mario Bros. 2 at a sushi restaurant last night.05/23/2015 - 10:59am
MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm