FreeBSD Running on PS3

January 10, 2011 -

According to this SlashDot report, FreeBSD, the Unix-based free operating system, now runs on PS3 - according to comments from FreeBSD's Nathan Whitehorn. While an earlier report indicated that this was made possible by the recent release of the PS3 cryptography key, the OS was run via a netboot ( remote booting a computer over an IP network without access to a hard disk).

Here is what Whitehorn said on FreeBSD.org:

"Yesterday [January 6], I imported support for the Sony PlayStation 3 into our 64-bit PowerPC port, expanding our game console support into the current generation. There are still a few rough edges due to missing hardware support, but the machine boots and runs FreeBSD stably. These rough edges should be smoothed out in time for the 9.0 release."

He used Sony PlayStation 3 Fat and firmware version 3.21.

Find out more details here.

Source: /.

Comments

Re: FreeBSD Running on PS3

I still dont understand what this root key means. Can i run homebrew easily? I've been dying to get OGR from Distributed.net running on my PS3, but the only way was to install linux, which i don't want to do.

Will this rootkey thing allow me to run homebrew on my system as-is?

Re: FreeBSD Running on PS3

Well, since CFW has already been released and people have been making emulators like crazy...

Yes, you can run virtually any homebrew just fine.

-------------------- Making sure I retain my INSANITY

Re: FreeBSD Running on PS3

You can run pretty much any application that you sign with the key, homebrew, DLC or even an operating system.

Re: FreeBSD Running on PS3

I doubt it. I'm not too familliar with OGR, but unless the library has it's own kernel that it can bootstrap from...

"The chicken or the egg" comes to mind.

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

prh99I am sure. Just have no interest in tropes in general or her take on gender portrayal.01/27/2015 - 7:44pm
Goth_SkunkI personally enjoy replacing letters with numbers in titles of movies and games. I think Firaxis missed out on a huge chuckle by calling it "Civilization V" and not "CiVilization."01/27/2015 - 7:20pm
Andrew EisenI bet I can guess how you voted!01/27/2015 - 7:02pm
prh99Never actually watched one, probably won't start.01/27/2015 - 6:15pm
E. Zachary KnightConster, when are unrealistic stretch goal demands anything new? They happen in every Kickstarter I have seen.01/27/2015 - 5:58pm
E. Zachary KnightAE: You forgot the "The video that conforms to my preconceived ideas about gender in games" option.01/27/2015 - 5:56pm
PHX Corp@Conster ok, randomly put 5 golden tickets into the boxes and anyone who gets a golden ticket gets to go and visit Willy Wonka's chocolate factory!, is a ultra-ridiculous stretch goal suggested by a backer01/27/2015 - 5:53pm
ConsterApparently they're unaware that unlike with video games, card games have a large constant factor in cost-per-unit.01/27/2015 - 5:24pm
ConsterIn other news, Exploding Kittens (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/exploding-kittens) has over 100k backers now, a few of which are calling for unrealistic stretch goals.01/27/2015 - 5:23pm
ConsterIt's cool in Numb3rs, but not really anywhere else.01/27/2015 - 5:20pm
james_fudgeI hate that style of naming too01/27/2015 - 4:34pm
Wonderkarpits unattractive, andrew01/27/2015 - 3:46pm
Andrew EisenFant4stic. Ugh, they're doing the "replace a letter with a number" thing. I hate that. Does anyone think that's cool or attractive? Anyone at all?01/27/2015 - 1:56pm
IvresseEh, trailer's still better than all the Fantastic Four movies combined, tbh...01/27/2015 - 12:45pm
Matthew WilsonIt will never happen, but I wish fox would sell the rights back to disney.01/27/2015 - 11:05am
E. Zachary KnightWell, they went with whimsical and carefree for the first two and they bombed, so now they have swung the pendulum all the way in the other direction hoping it works.01/27/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenIt's like Fox is trying to scare us off.01/27/2015 - 10:57am
Andrew EisenMaybe I'm just a curmudgeon but this is so amazingly the wrong tone for the Fantastic Four. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-BVs-KCSiA01/27/2015 - 10:53am
ConsterSince the ads are in the USA, you're technically correct. Personally, though, I feel the same way as you but in the opposite order: while the ads were legal and the defacing isn't, I really appreciate the sentiment.01/27/2015 - 8:21am
MechaTama31I appreciate the sentiment of the Ms Marvel thing, but defacing *is* still defacing, and free speech is a license to spread hate, if that's really what you want to do with it.01/27/2015 - 7:42am