Leicestershire, UK Man Sentenced for Mod Chip Business

January 11, 2011 -

A 40-year-old man has been sentenced to community service and a curfew by a court in Leicestershire, United Kingdom for running a mod chip business. Thomas Norwood, the director of Modchip Fitters Ltd., plead guilty to the "importation and sale of electronic cards that circumvented anti-piracy controls on Nintendo Wii’s, Microsoft Xboxes and other consoles."

He was sentenced to a two-month nighttime curfew (7PM - 7AM), 12 months of community service, and ordered to pay an undetermined amount of restitution. A restitution hearing is scheduled at some point to determine the amount of money he'll have to pay.

The conviction is the result of a 2008 raid by the Leicestershire Trading Standards Service. The raid netted software and hardware valued at £60,000. Norwood ran Modchip Fitters, a web-based company that modded console hardware to run copies of games and other media.

Source: Leicestershire County Council

Comments

Re: Leicestershire, UK Man Sentenced for Mod Chip Business

Meh loss of tax rev from a business that should be legal.

---

Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm