A Possible Happy Ending for World of StarCraft Modder

January 20, 2011 -

Rock, Paper Shotgun reports that there may be a happy ending to the World of StarCraft mod maker story we reported on yesterday. A very public story about Activision-Blizzard taking down video footage from his mod on YouTube caught the notice of someone from Riot Games, maker of the DOTA-like RPG strategy game League of Legends.

A Riot Games employee, commenting on the story over at Pixelated Geek, asked the World of StarCraft maker to contact him (her?) via email to talk about a job opportunity:

"Ryan, I'd love to hire you at Riotgames. Please email me at epak@riotgames.com We can at least chat about it."

The offer seems to be bonafide, according to this post on the League of Legends forums. On December 14, Riot Games announced that it would hire 100 employees to ramp up for its plans in 2011. Of course, it's not a done deal yet, but "Ryan" is excited about it, nonetheless:

"I would be a complete idiot not to…," he told PG. "I’ve waited my whole life for something like this. I feel like I’m in a dream man."

We'll keep you posted. Activsion and Blizzard have yet to comment publicly about this story.

Source: RPS

Comments

Re: A Possible Happy Ending for World of StarCraft Modder

The lesson here is:

1. Make a mod of your favorite game, disregarding that the owner of that game probably will be not amused about it.

2. Wait for the "cease and desist" letter of said company.

3. Complain on the internet.

4. Wait for job offers.

5. ????

6. PROFIT!!!!

Good luck for this guy, anyways. Glad that he at least got something good from Activision´s legal tantrum.

------------------------------------------------------------ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com

Re: A Possible Happy Ending for World of StarCraft Modder

Technically, Activision doesn't own the Warcraft franchis,e Blizzard does, and it was Activision that sent the cease and desist.

Re: A Possible Happy Ending for World of StarCraft Modder

If by "sent the cease and desist" you mean "ordered a Youtube video to be taken down" then yes. You're right. Maybe. Or maybe an overzealous Youtube mod zapped it themselves. Or maybe even an overzealous auto-delete script. It's happened before. When a video is taken down by Youtube's automatic scripts, the takedown notice still says "due to a copyright claim by <company name>" even though said company didn't actually contact Youtube and order the takedown.

Either way, there is no "cease and desist." Aside from his video being taken down, Blizzard has taken no action against the mod's creator whatsoever, or even sent him any kind of direct contact (the video's takedown notice was from Youtube).

[Edit: I lie, it seems this morning he was contacted by someone from Blizzard who simply asked that the name "World of Starcraft" be changed as Blizzard does apparently own a copyright on it. So there was direct contact. Still no cease and desist.]
---
I'm not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I'm not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don't know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

---

Re: A Possible Happy Ending for World of StarCraft Modder

Actually, yes Activision owns all Blizzard's assets because Activision is Blizzard's parent company. The only reason Blizzard's name is in the new company name is because of brand recognition. Would you really want to play Starcraft 2 from Activision?

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: A Possible Happy Ending for World of StarCraft Modder

Glad to hear good news for the guy behind World of Starcraft. Hope he can make another MMO with Riot Games.

Poll