Former RIAA Lawyer Becomes Solicitor General

January 25, 2011 -

President Barack Obama on Monday announced that former RIAA lawyer Donald Verrilli Jr., currently serving as White House deputy counsel, will be taking over the vacancy left by Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan. As the new solicitor general, Verrilli's job is to defend the government before the Supreme Court, and to file friend-of-the court briefs when the government feels it has a vested interest in a case.

According to the Ars Technica report, Verrilli is best known as the guy who lead the legal charge against music and movie file-sharing site Grokster. That site has gone the way of the dodo thanks in part to his efforts against it. He also had a considerable part in the Viacom legal battle with YouTube, which ended up going wrong for the media giant. Viacom is appealing that decision.

But the most prominent was the Jamie Thomas file sharing case brought by the RIAA. After three trials, Thomas was nailed with a $2 million verdict for sharing two dozen tracks via Kazaa.

Source: Ars Technica

Comments

Re: Former RIAA Lawyer Becomes Solicitor General

Thank you, Joe Biden.

Re: Former RIAA Lawyer Becomes Solicitor General

This is all find and dandy, just keep in mind one thing:

Don't confuse an attourny's legal arguments with their personal beliefs.  Just because someone defends a murder doesn't mean people should be allowed to murder others.

Re: Former RIAA Lawyer Becomes Solicitor General

*plays imperial march*

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: Former RIAA Lawyer Becomes Solicitor General

You can't play that! ©LucasArts

*cease & desist*

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

InfophileAged well plot-wise, I mean. The animation is showing its age, but if you don't mind that, the plot holds up quite well03/27/2015 - 6:52am
InfophileRobotech may be 30 years old, but it's actually aged pretty well. Plus, one of the three Japanese franchises that went into making it, Macross, is coming out with a new series soon. So it's far from forgotten or out-of-date03/27/2015 - 6:50am
ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm