Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

January 28, 2011 -

Earlier this week Nintendo said that it was implementing anti-piracy measures into its upcoming 3-D hand-held that will help the company quell the use of third-party devices - like the R4 device for DS. Of course device makers probably haven't had a chance to design such a device yet, so Nintendo should probably bring its "A game" to this fight. And honestly, it has been a fight for Nintendo to stop the use of R4 devices all over the world, despite some pretty successful legal victories around the world.

Nintendo UK general manager David Yarnton believes that better protection methods and consumer awareness does have a significant impact on the overall problem of piracy.

"There are a lot of things we've learnt over time to try and improve the security and protection - not only of our IP but of our third-party publishers' IP as well," Yarnton recently told Computer & Video Games.

Yarnton also believes that piracy could soon be in "the rear view" thanks to the advancements in protection technology and strong enforcement.

"I think perhaps there's been a 'heyday of piracy' and we've now seen a lot of rules come in to stop it," he says.

Of course, it is way too early to make proclamations. In some circles, those kinds of statements are a challenge to hackers, who were told the same thing about jailbreaking the iPhone and the PS3. Anything is possible on either side, given enough effort and time.

Source: Gamasutra

Comments

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

I don't understand why they are talking about this. Saying "We've got kick-ass DRM" sounds like an invitation to hack/crack the device.

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

Well ,for one thing "better protection" is almost an oxymoron now.

And two, so long as it doesn't hamper playing my legally purchased and or downloaded games, I'm cool. If it begins interfering though, I'll be pissed.

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

It is interfering.

"Region Locked"

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

the PSP and DS are probably the two easiest modern devices to hack, yet their sales are still pretty solid.  I don't see what Nintendo's issue is here.  Open Platform always proves to be a better method of marketing than outright saying, ooh we're going to put in tons of DRM.

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

Same reason why CEOs get 10-30% of a companies wealth.It looks like they are doing soemthing good for the company.

---

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

I misread the title on my skim of the front page. I think my misreading is more accurately representable of the contents.

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

Which will be hacked in a year around the time I will bother to buy it.

---

Thomas RiordanNo, certainly not. Anything to prevent that kinda crap.09/01/2014 - 8:18am
SleakerAlthough.. I don't think it hurts anyone if kids think the report is true :P09/01/2014 - 3:26am
Sleakerand just for future reference. National Reports is a fake news site, they decided to remove their disclaimers a while back apparently...09/01/2014 - 3:25am
Thomas RiordanDon't feel bad. I posted the same thing last night and deleted it once I realized it wasn't real.08/31/2014 - 11:13pm
E. Zachary KnightAh. The report actually read serious to me. Oh well. At least it didn't happen.08/31/2014 - 7:46pm
ConsterAlthough apparently someone who was in a swatting ring in Texas took a plea for up to 5 years in July.08/31/2014 - 7:14pm
ConsterProbably because it's a satire site.08/31/2014 - 7:13pm
E. Zachary KnightI agree that the kid should be punished, but the charge and sentence seem a bit overboard to me. http://nationalreport.net/15-year-old-swatted-domestic-terrorism/08/31/2014 - 6:56pm
Andrew EisenI get a "page doesn't exist."08/31/2014 - 11:50am
MaskedPixelantehttps://twitter.com/Nevelets/status/506076879309508608 What we're currently supposed to be offended by, or whatever.08/31/2014 - 10:10am
MechaTama31AE: Probably snarky commentary on this: http://www.gamepolitics.com/2014/08/29/principle-player-leland-yee-arms-trading-case-dies08/30/2014 - 8:43pm
Andrew EisenConster - Don't know. Got a link to whatever you're referring to?08/30/2014 - 7:04pm
ConsterWait, what's this about Leland Yee eliminating witnesses?08/30/2014 - 5:50pm
IanCBroke my EA boycott to pick up Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare. Loving it. Still hate EA though. But i like Popcap. Gah.08/30/2014 - 6:01am
MaskedPixelantehttp://m.tickld.com/x/something-you-never-realized-about-guardians-of-the-galaxy Right in the feels.08/29/2014 - 6:56pm
AvalongodAgain I think we're conflating the issue of whether Sarkeesian's claims are beyond critique (no they're not) and whether its ever appropriate to use sexist language, let alone physical threats on a woman to intimidate her (no it isn't)08/29/2014 - 5:04pm
prh99Trolling her or trying to assail her integrity just draws more attention (Streisand effect?). Which is really not what the trolls want, so the only way to win (if there is a win to be had) is not to play/troll.08/29/2014 - 5:02pm
prh99Who cares, just don't watch the damn videos if you don't like her. Personally, I don't care as far as she is concerned as long there are interesting games to be played.08/29/2014 - 4:34pm
Andrew EisenZip - And yet, you can't cite a single, solitary example. (And no one said you hated anyone. Along those lines, no one claimed Sarkeesian was perfect either.)08/29/2014 - 3:51pm
Andrew EisenSaint's Row: Gat Out of Hell was just announced for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One making it the 150th game For Everything But Wii U! Congratulations Deep Silver!08/29/2014 - 3:49pm