Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

January 28, 2011 -

Earlier this week Nintendo said that it was implementing anti-piracy measures into its upcoming 3-D hand-held that will help the company quell the use of third-party devices - like the R4 device for DS. Of course device makers probably haven't had a chance to design such a device yet, so Nintendo should probably bring its "A game" to this fight. And honestly, it has been a fight for Nintendo to stop the use of R4 devices all over the world, despite some pretty successful legal victories around the world.

Nintendo UK general manager David Yarnton believes that better protection methods and consumer awareness does have a significant impact on the overall problem of piracy.

"There are a lot of things we've learnt over time to try and improve the security and protection - not only of our IP but of our third-party publishers' IP as well," Yarnton recently told Computer & Video Games.

Yarnton also believes that piracy could soon be in "the rear view" thanks to the advancements in protection technology and strong enforcement.

"I think perhaps there's been a 'heyday of piracy' and we've now seen a lot of rules come in to stop it," he says.

Of course, it is way too early to make proclamations. In some circles, those kinds of statements are a challenge to hackers, who were told the same thing about jailbreaking the iPhone and the PS3. Anything is possible on either side, given enough effort and time.

Source: Gamasutra

Comments

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

I don't understand why they are talking about this. Saying "We've got kick-ass DRM" sounds like an invitation to hack/crack the device.

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

Well ,for one thing "better protection" is almost an oxymoron now.

And two, so long as it doesn't hamper playing my legally purchased and or downloaded games, I'm cool. If it begins interfering though, I'll be pissed.

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

It is interfering.

"Region Locked"

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

the PSP and DS are probably the two easiest modern devices to hack, yet their sales are still pretty solid.  I don't see what Nintendo's issue is here.  Open Platform always proves to be a better method of marketing than outright saying, ooh we're going to put in tons of DRM.

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

Same reason why CEOs get 10-30% of a companies wealth.It looks like they are doing soemthing good for the company.

---

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

I misread the title on my skim of the front page. I think my misreading is more accurately representable of the contents.

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

Which will be hacked in a year around the time I will bother to buy it.

---

Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm