Video Game Artist Donald Barnes Jr. Murdered During Altercation

January 31, 2011 -

A sad story to report this morning. Donald Barnes Jr., a video game artist who has worked for EA Sports and Activision, was stabbed to death late last week in Oak Park, California. Barnes tried to intervene in an argument between a man and a woman and was stabbed by the man. He died later that evening.

Friends and family describe Barnes as a good old fashioned man that believed in civility and chivalry. His last courageous act on this earth proves that fact.

Barnes has worked in the video game industry as a character modeler since 1996. In the past, he worked for EA's Tiburon Studios, Activision's Luxoflux and Broodworks, Inc. He joined Broodworks in April.

Police have arrested 23-year-old suspect Bikram Singh Otal for the murder.

A more in-depth accounting of the crime can be found in the Ventura County Star.

Barnes was only 41 years old. He is survived by a 17-year-old daughter and 8-year-old son. GamePolitics extends our condolences and sympathies to the friends and family of Donald.

Source: Kotaku

Comments

Re: Video Game Artist Donald Barnes Jr. Murdered During ...

Luxoflux...? That means this man possibly worked on one of the best yet shortest vehicular combat franchises of all time.

Damn, that's really sad

Re: Video Game Artist Donald Barnes Jr. Murdered During ...

he was definately a bigger man than I.

Andrew EisenHaven't read it yet. I'm sharing this because I love the header image. http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/science/2014/10/20/20-robot-gamer-gate.w529.h352.jpg10/21/2014 - 3:39pm
james_fudgeYou are one of us, you're a GPer, not a GGer :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
james_fudgeNeo_DrKefka: half of them don't know who that is, so no worries :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
Andrew EisenUpdate to the Paranautical Activity story. Dev leaves the studio. http://codeavarice.com/post/100592709238/mike-is-leaving-code-avarice10/21/2014 - 1:52pm
quiknkoldI'm sure you are, Andrew10/21/2014 - 1:44pm
Andrew EisenNintendo announced the Link amiibo is compatible with Hyrule Warriors. No idea how Nintendo expects anyone to give a toss if it don't tell us what it does. Then again, maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly.10/21/2014 - 1:25pm
Neo_DrKefkaSo Gamergate compared me to leftist Saul Alnsky....ME off all the people10/21/2014 - 1:16pm
IanCWell.... quite.10/21/2014 - 1:10pm
Andrew EisenWell of course. Girls don't buy figurines and guys don't buy figurines of girls. And no, the girls that buy figurines and the guys that buy figurines of girls don't count. The money belongs on the table, thank you very much!10/21/2014 - 12:43pm
IanCI have 3 of the Disney Infinity figures even though i don't have the game (Rapunzel from Tangled, and Anna & Elsa from Frozen, purely because its the only way to get figures from those two films)10/21/2014 - 12:23pm
Andrew EisenGlad you said "Pokemon." That's the first time I've seen anyone use that abbreviation.10/21/2014 - 12:14pm
MaskedPixelanteGot my demo key for ORAS, hope I get some awesome Pokemon to bring over.10/21/2014 - 12:08pm
E. Zachary KnightNot owning a WiiU helps too.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
E. Zachary KnightI have avoided Skylanders and Disney Infinity so far, so I don't see how Amiibos will get me in their grasp.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
Andrew EisenYes, GamerGate has a lot of fair-weather friends.10/21/2014 - 11:25am
Neo_DrKefkaI'm disheartened we have a group of people in Gamergate such as The Ralph Retort that is using Gamergate to prop themselves up but they are acting just like those they are fighting against. Only gaming site coming out of gamergate that worthy is TechRaptr10/21/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenNot I. I'm not interested in desktop tchotchkes. Don't know what they do in Captain Toad (a game I'll actually be picking up) but I'm not impressed by what they do in Smash Bros.10/21/2014 - 11:10am
quiknkoldso in a change of subject to something much lighter, who here is getting the Amiibos? I have 4 preordered.10/21/2014 - 7:02am
TechnogeekFor a change of pace, here's a story about death threats aimed at games industry employees via Twitter that has nothing whatsoever to do with Gamergate: http://kotaku.com/indie-dev-threatens-gabe-newell-has-game-removed-from-164867886910/21/2014 - 4:38am
MechaCrashThey aren't being held accountable because *this is what GamerGate is really about.* Hatred and harassment under a thin veneer of concern for ethics; it's a rotten movement right down to the core. Related: http://tinyurl.com/o5mamgn10/21/2014 - 1:53am