Civil Discourse: Game Screen Time Debate

February 3, 2011 -

Unfortunately, we can't embed the video here, but Fox News' "Fox & Friends" host Gretchen Carlson moderated an interesting segment about the proper amount of video game screen time for kids. The discussion featured "Reality is Broken" author and game developer Jane McGonigal, and Susan Maushart, author of the book "The Winter of our Disconnect."

What is most interesting about the segment is the level of civility of all involved. Discussions about video games and the effects on children can often get out of control as two diametrical views collide and the moderator drops the ball or interjects their own opinions on the subject.

This segment offered three different perspectives; McGonigal believes the proper amount of screen time is right around three hours; Carlson allows her children 30 minutes a day; and Susan Maushart believes that technology gets in the way of life. While Maushart's method sounds extreme, it works for her, and as a parent that's her right.

Watch the segment here and form your own opinion.

Source: Kotaku

Comments

Re: Civil Discourse: Game Screen Time Debate

Jane McGonigal was also interviewed by Stephen Colbert on the Colbert Report last Thursday.

That could possibly be an interesting piece of news.

----------

Living in Canada can be a very good thing, you know. We enjoy the universal healthcare and gun-free environment of an European country while getting all of our games released at the same time as in the US.

Living in Canada is awesome. We enjoy the universal healthcare and gun-free environment of a European country while getting all of our games released at the same time as the US.

Re: Civil Discourse: Game Screen Time Debate

I have to say that the respect shown towards each other in the discussion is surprising, especially for Fox News. There were some good points made, but I think the point they missed is that what works for one child doesn't work for another; some are fine, some need help moderating their time.

Also, as Dark_Mellow pointed out, kids just want to have fun. While some probably love engaging in 'constructive' activities such as music playing, they shouldn't have to spend all their time on adult-directed activities.

Re: Civil Discourse: Game Screen Time Debate

Gonne all the good days where you reunite all your buddies to play goldneye 007 or perfect dark drinking coca-cola and eating chips all afternoon.

Re: Civil Discourse: Game Screen Time Debate

The idea of not allowing your kids access to technology is really just horrifying.  We live in a technological age and to not allow kds access to technology is to essentially handicap them.  I'm certainly not against monitoring video game use (though my parents never did and I turned out alright...but not all kids are the same) but "technology gets in the way of life?" I'm sorry,  but that is an idiotic viewpoint.

Re: Civil Discourse: Game Screen Time Debate

Why cant you just play video games for fun?

Does everything have to benefit kids just let them have fun.

Re: Civil Discourse: Game Screen Time Debate

And they all fail, shcool work>studying>playing with physical objects outside< physical objects inside then media of anykind!!

---

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenIf that's true, maybe she's willing to lose her tax exempt status by merchandising. So? Also not a problem with her Kickstarter. And no, I don't have to be a rep of FemFreq to point out how nonsensical, irrelevant and untrue all this nonsense is.01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenShe doesn't say it's not her footage and she never said she'd record all her own footage. So this isn't a problem. I doubt she's said anything like "no women or non white people are critics of mine." Regardless, nothing to do with her Kickstarter.01/31/2015 - 6:41pm
Wonderkarpvalet about parking info01/31/2015 - 6:41pm
Wonderkarpyour glenn beck to her republican party. you can refut all you want, but its not going to matter until femfreq comes out and disputes these claims because you are not a member of fem freq. you are a second party. I dont ask the man standing next to the01/31/2015 - 6:39pm
Wonderkarpis free gifts01/31/2015 - 6:39pm
WonderkarpListen and Believe is one of the slogans Femfreq touts on twitter. and Non profits are in danger of losing their tax exempt status by merchandising. Its a big nono. I worked at the MDA for a while and they do NOT sell merchandise. anything they do have01/31/2015 - 6:38pm