THQ Posts Record Loss

February 3, 2011 -

THQ recorded a major loss and saw its revenues fall in the third-quarter as consumers spent less on its video games during the holiday shopping season. The company posted a net loss of $14.9 million, compared with a profit of $542,000 in the same period a year ago. THQ's revenue fell 11 percent to $314.6 million from $356.9 million a year earlier.

Still, the company tried to put a brave face on the discouraging revenue numbers.

"We posted a strong holiday quarter led by our new uDraw GameTablet, which shipped 1.2 million units. This owned intellectual property provides THQ with a new growth opportunity focused on innovative and creative game play," said THQ President and CEO Brian Farrell. "Our fiscal fourth quarter continues our robust release schedule of high quality, high profile games including Homefront, WWE All Stars, and de Blob 2."

For the fiscal third quarter ending December 31, 2010, THQ reported net sales of $314.6 million, compared with $356.7 million in the prior-year period. On a non-GAAP basis, for the three months ending December 31, 2010, the company reported net sales of $323.1 million, compared with $357.0 million a year ago.

Looking ahead the company predicted fiscal fourth quarter non-GAAP net sales in the range of $245 - $260 million, and non-GAAP EPS of $0.05 - $ 0.15. The new guidance primarily reflects the move of UFC Personal Trainer into fiscal 2012, and lower expected sales of kids movie-based licensed games.

For the fiscal year ending March 31, THQ expects to report non-GAAP fiscal 2011 net sales in the range of $800 - $815 million and a non-GAAP net loss per share for fiscal 2011 in the range of $0.25 - $0.35.

Posted in

Comments

Re: THQ Posts Record Loss

Seriously dude, proofread before you post. THQ's profit last year was $542,000 (five hundred and forty-two THOUSAND, not million) and while they did report a loss this quarter, it was anticipated and below expectations because uDraw sold far more than they expected it to. THQ has never been big enough to most a $500M+ profit in their history and in fact couldn't with revenues of $357M a year ago as you also state.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
www.digital-lifeline.ca

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: THQ Posts Record Loss

I've kinda come to expect stuff like this from GP lately. Recently, almost every other article contained at least one glaring typo.

Andrew EisenA bit busy with my 30 Days of Netflix project but I did play through the first world of New Super Mario Bros. 2 at a sushi restaurant last night.05/23/2015 - 10:59am
MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm