Report: MobyGames Now Owned by GameFly Media

February 8, 2011 -

According to a Gamasutra report, GameFly Media has acquired video game information and documentation site, MobyGames. Gamasutra points to new information on the footer, which now features a GameFly Media logo. GameFly stepped out of its comfort zone - game rentals via mail - to purchase ShackNews from site founder Steve Gibson in 2009. To its credit, the site has remained largely independent of its new owner.

MobyGames is an exhaustive collection of data about games; it contains 33,000 entries complete with trivia, developer credits, release dates, platforms, reviews, and more. For the researcher looking for obscure game information, MobyGames is often an invaluable resource. On a personal note, it is one of the few web sites in the world that gives me a personal credit in a game, even if it is not deserved.

The new acquisition adds MobyGames to a list of web sites such as ShackNews, ShackFiles, Flash-games site Ponged.com, and CheatFreak.

Source: GamaSutra

Comments

Re: Report: MobyGames Now Owned by GameFly Media

Huh, I didn't know that Gamefly owned ShackNews. Guess that explains why the Game Center app for my phone grabs all its news from there.

MechaCrashYeah, even I think IP needs to dial it back.05/22/2015 - 12:35am
Mattsworknamesays05/21/2015 - 11:17pm
Andrew EisenThat's an... interesting way to interpret that.05/21/2015 - 8:36pm
Goth_SkunkAnd re BBC vs Rockstar: Ahh. I missed that. Woops!05/21/2015 - 8:33pm
DocMelonheadYou could say that the Mary Sue only interested in Gender issues in pop culture, and they only see GamerGate as a Hate group that fight for the oppressive status quo.05/21/2015 - 8:22pm
MechaCrashWell, can't blame him for not expanding on it and missing stories here. Sealioning people demanding proof of claims and then calling them liars when they provide it is busy work!05/21/2015 - 8:20pm
Andrew EisenRe: Mary Sue - Uh, why exactly? Re: Rockstar - Yep, we reported that earlier today.05/21/2015 - 8:12pm
Goth_SkunkRockstar is suing the BBC. http://ow.ly/NgzDm05/21/2015 - 8:00pm
Goth_SkunkWhy I don't take The Mary Sue seriously, and why you shouldn't either: http://ow.ly/Ngzkk05/21/2015 - 7:55pm