Report: MobyGames Now Owned by GameFly Media

February 8, 2011 -

According to a Gamasutra report, GameFly Media has acquired video game information and documentation site, MobyGames. Gamasutra points to new information on the footer, which now features a GameFly Media logo. GameFly stepped out of its comfort zone - game rentals via mail - to purchase ShackNews from site founder Steve Gibson in 2009. To its credit, the site has remained largely independent of its new owner.

MobyGames is an exhaustive collection of data about games; it contains 33,000 entries complete with trivia, developer credits, release dates, platforms, reviews, and more. For the researcher looking for obscure game information, MobyGames is often an invaluable resource. On a personal note, it is one of the few web sites in the world that gives me a personal credit in a game, even if it is not deserved.

The new acquisition adds MobyGames to a list of web sites such as ShackNews, ShackFiles, Flash-games site Ponged.com, and CheatFreak.

Source: GamaSutra

Comments

Re: Report: MobyGames Now Owned by GameFly Media

Huh, I didn't know that Gamefly owned ShackNews. Guess that explains why the Game Center app for my phone grabs all its news from there.

Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm