LG Takes Sony To ITC over TVs, Blu-Rays and PS3s

February 8, 2011 -

Consumer electronics company LG has asked the International Trade Commission to block the sale of the PlayStation 3 console. The company is having a patent dispute with Sony over several Bravia television sets and Blu-Ray players that it claims infringe on four of its patents. The PS3 includes a Blu-Ray player, which is why LG has named it as one of the products it wants an injunction against.

LG has also filed a lawsuit against Sony in California, seeking unspecified damages. The court action is due to the ITC's inability to award cash damages.

Bloomberg reports that these patent infringement claims related to the PS3 revolve around "a way of dealing with multiple data streams, such as different camera angles, as well as a system to reproduce data that's stored on a read-only device."

While the ITC has the power to halt the sale of the PS3 in the United States, it is unlikely to take what many see as an extreme action. Sony recently filed (unrelated) patent infringement claims against LG with the ITC for seven phone patents it claims the company has infringed upon.

Source: Kotaku

Comments

Re: LG Takes Sony To ITC over TVs, Blu-Rays and PS3s

After the PS3/Blu Ray has been out for almost 5 years? The cycle's just about over!

Nah, they have to wait until the PS3 is making enough dough before they make a move. First, people sue Sony over the PS2 (dualshock), then Nintendo over the Wii, and now the PS3. The pie's gotta be big enough before you take a slice.

Re: LG Takes Sony To ITC over TVs, Blu-Rays and PS3s

Weird, I just got an LG Tv over the weekend.

Re: LG Takes Sony To ITC over TVs, Blu-Rays and PS3s

Thats weird?

They make decent T.V's! Nothing weird about that. :P

==============

James Fletcher, member of ECA Canada

Re: LG Takes Sony To ITC over TVs, Blu-Rays and PS3s

Wow....that only describes the last 15+ years of DVD's... I am cheering for Sony on this one.

============== James Fletcher, member of ECA Canada

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

Wonderkarpafter deep thought, I can live in a world with 2 Ghostbusters Franchises. Though I highly doubt the new film will top the original(And still wish it were a sequal), The new film's cast won me over hardcore.01/30/2015 - 10:43am
PHX Corphttp://www.tssznews.com/2015/01/30/former-sega-of-america-employees-voice-mistreatment-greed-racism/ there is alot of problems with sega but this is new01/30/2015 - 9:33am
ZippyDSMleehttp://www.speedtest.net/my-result/410086446201/29/2015 - 9:12pm