PC Gaming Alliance: Big PC Gaming Growth in 2010

March 1, 2011 -

The PC Gaming Alliance published a preliminary part of its third annual Horizons research reports, revealing the state of the PC gaming industry in 2010. Prepared by research firm DFC Intelligence, the report covers 2010 and offers projections for the market worldwide through 2014. The full report will be shared with PCGA members a week after GDC - going on this week in San Francisco.

According to data from the report, the worldwide PC games market reached a record $16.2 billion in 2010 - a 20 percent jump from 2009.

China was the largest and fastest growing market in 2010, with record revenue of around $4.8 billion. Korea, Japan, the US, UK and Germany also all showed growth in 2010. Together these markets increased revenue by 19 percent in 2010 to $7.3 billion.

PCGA president and Intel analyst Matt Ployhar says the 2010 numbers show that the focus has returned to the PC.

"The spotlight has definitely shifted back to the PC game market. A few of the biggest factors fueling this movement are innovative business models making games more accessible with digital distribution, free to play, and online; along with game formats embracing the shifts occurring in the evolution of the PC ecosystem to remain more profitable," said Ployhar.

The report concluded that the PC game sector is expected to grow by 9 percent to $23 billion by 2014. Digital distribution is the likely catalyst for this growth.

Expect to hear more about this report after the conclusion of the Game Developers Conference at the end of the week.

Source: Develop

Comments

Re: PC Gaming Alliance: Big PC Gaming Growth in 2010

Woah, the PCGA just made their third announcement in 3 years. Shock of shocks they still exist. Not really doing anything of merit (two of their promoters AKa Capcom and Epic have abandoned PCs because it couldn't pull the numbers they wanted from their substandard ports while another two of their remaining ones AKA Sony DADC and DELL have done more damage for PC Gaming than they benefited) but apparently still there.

Here's the fun thing, each member has to put up 5K annually for contributer membership, or 30K annually for a promoter membership, yet this money seems to be going nowhere.

prh99Personally, I just clicked the three vertical dots the first YouTube recommended one, haven't seen one since. Too bad I can't get rid of Pewdiepie video recommendations that easily.02/01/2015 - 3:19am
prh99Just don't watch the videos, who cares what she does or doesn't do. If her audience likes it so be, if they think she's doing something she shouldn't they'll stop watching.02/01/2015 - 3:14am
Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm