Sony to Share Move Tech with Academia, Enthusiasts

March 3, 2011 -

Sony Computer Entertainment America announced at the Game Developers Conference this week that it plans to make the Move software development application available to academics, students, researchers, and enthusiasts. The app is called Move.Me, and it allows developers to create software that takes advantage of the PlayStation Move motion controller.

Coming to PlayStation Network this spring, Move.Me takes advantage of the PS Move's internal motion sensors and PS Eye camera tracking, allowing developers to export that data to Windows or Linux-based PCs (tablets and smartphones can also receive the data when connected to a PS3) and create applications. SCEA said during its announcement of the app that Move.Me could be used for a lot of different applications - from prototype rehabilitation applications for patients undergoing physical therapy, to creating new types of game applications.

"PlayStation Move's camera-plus-controller combination allows for the most precise and immersive gaming experiences," says SCEA Developer Support's senior engineer John McCutchan, senior engineer, SCEA Developer Support. "Now we're formally taking that advanced technology, which was almost ten years in the making, and offering it to innovators outside of our traditional game development community so they can create their own applications to impact the world in exciting new ways."

SCEA also said that it will support Move.Me with sample code, user documentation, and corporate material from SCE Research and Development. The app will not require a PS3 system SDK or licensing agreement. Additional information about Move.Me is available on the company's site.

Source: Serious Games Source

Comments

Re: Sony to Share Move Tech with Academia, Enthusiasts

This is probably a PR move to sidestep claims that they are hurting academic interests by sueing GeoHots and that Choco guy.

It is possible that they are jealous that MS and Nintendo have long won the battle for support in hackspace projects too... I doubt we'll see Sony changing that anytime.

Re: Sony to Share Move Tech with Academia, Enthusiasts

God -- at this rate, there's going to be decent Windows support for Move before the Wii remote.

(And no, I don't count GlovePIE as decent support.  It's a neat hack, but it's still a hack.)

MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm