Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

March 7, 2011 -

Last year Brenda Bailey Gershkovitch and Kirsten Forbes of Vancouver launched Silicon Sisters, a game company dedicated to creating games made by women for women. Soon they will release their first game, School 26. School 26 is a casual role-playing game that puts players in the shoes of a high school student who helps her peer with personal problems.

"The core game world has not moved aggressively into the female space," says Gershkovitch. "The casual and social gaming world has."

"We're not concentrating on building games for those gals because they've figured out what they want," Gershkovitch added – addressing those gamers that play hardcore games like Call of Duty. "We're building games for the rest of the girls out there - the girls who haven't yet broken into traditional gaming."

The duo were recently highlighted in this Toronto Star report. Since 40 percent of video game players in the United States and Canada are female, making games for women is a no-brainer.

School 26 is set for release sometime this spring on iOS devices. Forbes says it best with the following:

"Women are the most tenacious demographic. We’ve played games for years and years, despite the fact that no one was actually making them for us. We stuck with it."

Indeed.

Source: C&VG, image credit: Toronto Star

Comments

Re: Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

what women cant like the same games we men enjoy? women gamers do like those games thats why thet're gamers allready.

this is going to be about getting more women into gaming its going to be the casual market all over again only pink and with ponies.

I dont know what women are going to think but if I was a woman Id find this insulting.

(why do I feel like when ever I post on GP that I just end up ranting and complaining?)

Re: Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

I don't necessarily see a problem with reaching out to new markets, and trying to cater to tastes that aren't being satisfied.  I, for example, play mostly shooters and very few RPGs.  This doesn't make shooters better than RPGs, it just means I have a job and don't have the time to sink 100+ hours into a game.

I'm not optimistic about games targeted at women, though, because this usually means nothing more than "shrink it and pink it," and the result is usually a juvenille, clunky, and yes, insulting mess.

Re: Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

In theory, I like the idea of creating games aimed at a female demographic hardcore or not, but this game sounds like it's gone too far into the partiez/babyz/pinkz direction.

Re: Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

Please, for the love of god, do not make it pink.

Re: Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

Well said.

Re: Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

Feh, I'm not playing that.  Too girly.

Andrew Eisen

Poll

Which group is more ethically challenged?:

InfophileI know the ZE series was in the red in Japan, but international series boosted it to profitability. That may not mean it's more profitable in the west, but it does mean ZE3 wouldn't exist without the western market.07/04/2015 - 7:54am
Consterwhy aren't "Video game players" an option on the poll? :P07/04/2015 - 5:19am
Andrew EisenThat was quick! Pretty accurate cosplay of the new Ghostbuster uniform and proton pack: https://twitter.com/mirabellemusing/status/61673135125394227207/03/2015 - 6:23pm
Matthew Wilson@mast I dont know, but I do know it got a cult fallowing here.07/03/2015 - 6:22pm
MastermuneWasn't the Zero Escape series more popular here than in Japan?07/03/2015 - 6:19pm
Matthew Wilson@mast given the game was revealed in the US, I wouldnt be shocked if it was released at the same time.07/03/2015 - 6:15pm
MastermuneI don't trust the big AAA worldwide simultaneous releases though.07/03/2015 - 5:57pm
Mastermune@Infophile I have come to the conclusion that smaller games like zero escape, JRPG's and the like are actually worth preordering sinc they are limited quantities and since they usually release in japan first we know if there are any issues.07/03/2015 - 5:56pm
Infophile@Matthew! Awesome news. I'd preorder on that shout alone if I didn't have a policy against preordering anymore.07/03/2015 - 5:16pm
Matthew Wilsonzero escape 3 was announced today.07/03/2015 - 4:21pm
Matthew Wilson@pnx I am guessing a ddoss since that is what happened to neogaf, but sony needs to do a investment in psn as a whole. steam is still the most reliable and fastest digital platform I use.07/03/2015 - 3:06pm
PHX Corphttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/psn-is-down-sony-investigating/ not again: PSN is down, Sony investigating07/03/2015 - 3:04pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/digital-extremes-trespasser-keystone-pc/ if true, this is funny and embarrassing for Digital Extremes. companies need too have better security.07/03/2015 - 2:57pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-destiny-the-hardcore-gamers-slot-machine/2300-6425852/ this is very good, and well researched.07/03/2015 - 12:41pm
InfophileOther features to become standard: The ability to remap controls however the hell I want. Quicksave at any time (especially for handheld and mobile games). Plus everything Andrew said07/03/2015 - 10:43am
InfophileRegion-freeing becomes tricky for games with a strong online component though, especially when the servers are run by different branches in different regions.07/03/2015 - 10:41am
InfophileI'm in favor of getting rid of region-locking for any purchased games. I can understand an exception for free, ad-supported games, as many ads are only relevant in certain regions, and it's a ridiculous hassle to get ads for all regions.07/03/2015 - 10:40am
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/payday-2-has-been-broken-on-xbox-one-for-three-weeks-1715384186 Payday 2 Has Been Broken On Xbox One For Three Weeks07/03/2015 - 8:44am
Matthew Wilsonhttps://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3bxduw/why_was_riama_along_with_a_number_of_other_large/ here is a more complete acount of whats going on.07/03/2015 - 1:32am
Matthew Wilsonredit is on fire right now. most subreddits have been set to private.07/03/2015 - 1:24am