Frogster Sues Web Site over Alleged Runes of Magic Gold Reselling

March 8, 2011 -

German MMO company Frogster is suing MMO web site Elitepvpers over the alleged "commercial sale" of gold and game accounts for its game Runes of Magic. The site's owner claims that Frogster is simply trying to shut down a whole subsection of its site dedicated to Frogster's popular free-to-play MMO. But Frogster claims the site is engaging in a number of illicit activities including farming, selling in-game accounts, and gold. This despite the fact that the publisher recently inked an ad deal with the site for Mythos.

"Elitepvpers has never sold gold for the game", site owner Dominik Isen told GamesIndustry.biz Germany. "As we found out, few of our users have offered gold, which they had acquired in the game by themselves, which they did not need anymore and which was dispensable. According to our research [nobody offered] gold which was farmed driven by commercial interest only to earn money with it."

Frogster is in another lawsuit against a hacker who stole and leaked old Runes of Magic account information. The hacker had demanded changes to the game's way of treating customers. Police ended up rading that person's home and charging him with a number of crimes.

Frogster did not comment on the story.

Source: GI.biz