Pawlenty: We Need Curriculum that Fees Like Call of Duty 3

March 9, 2011 -

Speaking at Iowa State University this week, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty (R) said that one of the best ways to deal with the ever-escalating costs of a higher education might be found in video games and technology. Pawlenty is on the stump because - many believe - he will take a run at becoming president in 2012. Pawlenty mentioned remote learning during a brief question & answer session with ISU Republicans. His answer was in response to a question about how he reconciles his goal of improving education with spending cuts.

"Let’s say you can scale the best Econ 101 lecture and not a lecture, not some guy standing in a room lecturing but let’s say it has all the sights and sounds and video and visual components of Call of Duty 3, but now it’s Econ 101. Or instead of learning about WW II, you’re fighting in WW II."

He argued that students could access curriculum available from any university in the world online, for a fraction of the cost of attending a traditional university course. He added that Minnesota spent billions of dollars on university buildings, paid salaries, pensions and more to support the state’s educational system. Pawlenty also suggested that the private sector might do a better job of providing a digital curriculum without the cost of public infrastructure and staff.

It's an interesting concept, but the devil is usually in the details.

Pawlenty added that technology would not replace traditional universities, because students need socialization and sports teams.

Source: Des Moines Register

Comments

Re: Pawlenty: We Need Curriculum that Fees Like Call of ...

Former Governor Pawlenty.  Mark Dayton is the new Guv.

Pawlenty actually attends my church.  Met him after services a couple of times.  Nice guy and all, but I question some of his political motivations.  The one I've talked to doesn't always mesh with the one I see on the "vidya screen."

And for the record, I think Pawlenty signed the "fine the buyer" bill because vetoing a bill that one of his colleagues wrote would likely kill his career.  Especially when he's rallied for the author and vice versa.  I don't go to the same services as him anymore, and talking politics in church is just bad form.  So I haven't had the opportunity to speak my mind on this with him.

I'd love to continue debate on the state of MN politics with anyone interested, but this comment board is likely not the best place to do so.

Re: Pawlenty: We Need Curriculum that Fees Like Call of ...

Wasn't Pawlenty the governor who signed Minnesota's game bill into law? That's kept me from supporting him thus far.

Re: Pawlenty: We Need Curriculum that Fees Like Call of ...

Yes, the good old "fine the buyer" law.

Andrew Eisen

WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am