Video Game Charities Invade PAX East

March 9, 2011 -

The Gamers Outreach Foundation and Able Gamers Foundation are invading PAX East in Boston on Friday. The groups are teaming up to host a special panel called "Gamers Doing Good." Penny Arcade Expo takes place in Boston, MA, March 11-13.

The point of the panel is to have an intelligent discussion on how video gamers can be used to help others, and how gamers can combine their passion for gaming with charitable contributions. The panel is scheduled to take place on Friday at 5:00 PM in the Cat Theatre. Panelists include Stefanie Shea and Zach Wigal of Gamers Outreach, along with Mark Barlet, Steve Spohn and Ben Herz of The AbleGamers Foundation. Avery Alix of PopCap Games (moderator) will also be on hand, as well as Christopher "Frost" Sheffield of Radioactive Nerd.

In addition to the panel, Gamers Outreach Foundation will be bringing its recent fundraising campaign with independent game publisher, Wicked Interactive, to PAX East. Since December, Wicked Interactive has been working with Gamers Outreach to raise money for a GO Kart for the Dallas Veteran's Hospital. For every new account created in Mission Against Terror, Wicked Interactive is donating $1, with all proceeds donated directly to the construction of a new GO Kart. Project GO KART is an initiative of Gamers Outreach that funds the construction of portable entertainment kiosks, which are used to transport video games and other sources of entertainment to patients who have limited access to activities outside their rooms. PAX East attendees will find the special Mission Against Terror campaign postcards in their swag bags.

For more information on the "Gamers Doing Good" panel on Friday, March 11, featuring Gamers Outreach's own Zach Wigal and Stefanie Shea, visit: gamersoutreach.org/paxeastpanel.

Those not attending PAX EAST can still get involved by downloading M.A.T. and donating $1.

Comments

Re: Video Game Charities Invade PAX East

For anyone looking to head their own efforts, there's my panel:

"Running a Child's Play Fundraiser" - Saturday @ 6pm in the Cat Theatre.

While there's the obvious leaning to Child's Play, we'll be talking about the "empty box" of fundraiser events from online fundraising to local events. The panel will consist of myself (co-founder of Ümloud!), Kristin Lindsay (Foundation Coordinator, Child's Play).

Poll