Video Game Charities Invade PAX East

March 9, 2011 -

The Gamers Outreach Foundation and Able Gamers Foundation are invading PAX East in Boston on Friday. The groups are teaming up to host a special panel called "Gamers Doing Good." Penny Arcade Expo takes place in Boston, MA, March 11-13.

The point of the panel is to have an intelligent discussion on how video gamers can be used to help others, and how gamers can combine their passion for gaming with charitable contributions. The panel is scheduled to take place on Friday at 5:00 PM in the Cat Theatre. Panelists include Stefanie Shea and Zach Wigal of Gamers Outreach, along with Mark Barlet, Steve Spohn and Ben Herz of The AbleGamers Foundation. Avery Alix of PopCap Games (moderator) will also be on hand, as well as Christopher "Frost" Sheffield of Radioactive Nerd.

In addition to the panel, Gamers Outreach Foundation will be bringing its recent fundraising campaign with independent game publisher, Wicked Interactive, to PAX East. Since December, Wicked Interactive has been working with Gamers Outreach to raise money for a GO Kart for the Dallas Veteran's Hospital. For every new account created in Mission Against Terror, Wicked Interactive is donating $1, with all proceeds donated directly to the construction of a new GO Kart. Project GO KART is an initiative of Gamers Outreach that funds the construction of portable entertainment kiosks, which are used to transport video games and other sources of entertainment to patients who have limited access to activities outside their rooms. PAX East attendees will find the special Mission Against Terror campaign postcards in their swag bags.

For more information on the "Gamers Doing Good" panel on Friday, March 11, featuring Gamers Outreach's own Zach Wigal and Stefanie Shea, visit: gamersoutreach.org/paxeastpanel.

Those not attending PAX EAST can still get involved by downloading M.A.T. and donating $1.

Comments

Re: Video Game Charities Invade PAX East

For anyone looking to head their own efforts, there's my panel:

"Running a Child's Play Fundraiser" - Saturday @ 6pm in the Cat Theatre.

While there's the obvious leaning to Child's Play, we'll be talking about the "empty box" of fundraiser events from online fundraising to local events. The panel will consist of myself (co-founder of Ümloud!), Kristin Lindsay (Foundation Coordinator, Child's Play).

Goth_SkunkI'm such a huge BioWare fan that I played through my first playthrough of DA:I without complaint, but on my second time through I certainly took notice of just how much side-quest material there was. It's probably my greatest criticism of the game.05/24/2015 - 1:10pm
ZippyDSMleeI need one of my 70 games to play....mmmmmmmm05/24/2015 - 9:57am
MattsworknameSpent all night playing blood borne, now trapped in the Nightmare frontier and trying to reach the boss so I can maybe warp out again05/24/2015 - 9:21am
MattsworknameYeah, i got started and then made it through t the first few misions anthen blood borne05/23/2015 - 10:13pm
Goth_SkunkWhich one, Dragon Age?05/23/2015 - 8:20pm
Wonderkarpalso waiting patiently for Batman.05/23/2015 - 7:36pm
MattsworknameIn still trying ot beat that game the first time. Freaking game has so much side questing05/23/2015 - 7:34pm
Goth_SkunkPlaying a third and probably final playthrough of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Once that's done, I'll move on to AC: Unity, most likely, then get caught up on A-list games I have yet to play, like Murdered: Soul Suspect and Shadows of Mordor.05/23/2015 - 6:33pm
MattsworknameIf you own a vita and like monster hunter, but dont like the bs filler that goes with it. Try tokiden kiwmai05/23/2015 - 6:11pm
Matthew Wilsonaparently their servers got crushed, but I dont see the game selling well. Nintendo fans tend not to be fans of competitive fps05/23/2015 - 5:48pm
MattsworknameSPlatton looks intersting, Love the are style, gonna give the game a try with the upcoming test fire05/23/2015 - 4:39pm
PHX Corp@Technogeek, I'm returning for one more Run with the Global testfire05/23/2015 - 3:41pm
WonderkarpI'm bouncing all over the place but right now I'd say I'm playing Super Mario 64 trying to max out the stars. 2 worlds and 2 secret stars to go05/23/2015 - 1:12pm
TechnogeekReminder: Splatoon Global Testfire returns this afternoon/evening.05/23/2015 - 12:45pm
Andrew EisenA bit busy with my 30 Days of Netflix project but I did play through the first world of New Super Mario Bros. 2 at a sushi restaurant last night.05/23/2015 - 10:59am
MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm