DC Universe Online Download Coming Soon to PSN

March 10, 2011 -

If you didn't purchase DC Universe Online for PS3 because the retail game cannot be resold, then you may be happy to hear that Sony Online Entertainment will be offering a digital download of the game via PlayStation Network. In a post today on PlayStation Blog, SOE PR Manager Ryan Peters announced that the company plans to give players another way of getting the game. An added perk is the fact that you won't need to have a disc in the drive when you play. Here is what he said:

"Hey Everyone! It has been nearly two months since the launch of DC Universe Online and if you haven’t already purchased the game then shame on you – we have already added a new Catwoman episode and a second Batcave Raid! For those of you who just can’t make it to the store, we have the answer, shop from your couch…DC Universe Online is coming to the PlayStation Store! The digital download of DCUO will make accessing the game nearly effortless as you can simply slip on your sweatpants, melt into your couch and immediately access the vast world that is DC Universe Online. Download the Universe… right from your couch!"

He went on to say that the download will cost $59.99 USD and includes 30-days of free gameplay. SOE will also offer bundled packs that give players more game play for less like a six-month subscription package for $77.99 USD and a 12-month subscription selling for $134.99 USD.

A release date and how big the download will be is to be determined.

Comments

Re: DC Universe Online Download Coming Soon to PSN

And the digital download costs the same as the retail disc, despite the fact that distribution costs are basically nil and what you're paying for is the monthly subscription?  Laaaaaaaaaaaame.

Re: DC Universe Online Download Coming Soon to PSN

You really expected the download version to cost less?

---------
There are only 10 types of people in this world, people who know binary and people who don't.

---------

Re: DC Universe Online Download Coming Soon to PSN

I didn't expect the dl version to cost less but that doesn't mean it _shouldn't_ cost less! HDD space on consoles also commands a price... for the console owner - no cost to me to store the info on a disc instead other than the physical space it takes up in my home. the beta of DCU was a download and it filled the remaining space on my ps3fat, so this is a bad deal for me unless it is cheaper than retail.

besides that, there's no plastic, no book/paper, no chemicals sprayed on a disc, no gas used by a shipping truck, it doesn't end up in a landfill for centuries, etc - there should be an incentive to download rather than buy a disc if only for enviro purposes let alone moral and logical reasons.

another example of greed and marketing always being a few steps behind the technology that is supposed to make things cheaper and easier to use/buy! conveniently behind...

Mattsworknamehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vx4_prmvo09/01/2015 - 3:18am
MattsworknameTotal bisquit talkes about why teh Deus X pre order systems is garbage.09/01/2015 - 3:18am
PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm