NPD: Call of Duty: Black Ops The Top-Selling Game of All Time

March 11, 2011 -

According to NPD group retail sales data for February, the industry grew by 3 percent in overall sales. But the big story coming out of last month's numbers is that Call of Duty: Black Ops is the best selling game in U.S. history. This is great news for Treyarch, who for many years has stood in the long shadow of Infinity Ward. It finally proves that the company can create a Call of Duty game that is on the same level of quality as anything its sister studio can produce.

Overall, consumers spent around $1.36 billion on games and consoles during the month, up from 1.33 billion in the same period last year. Console sales were up 10 percent during the month, even though spending on games was down five percent compared to last year. Console accessories were up 22 percent over the same period a year ago, mostly due to Kinect.

The big story was Black Ops, which has sold 13.7 million copies in the U.S. to date and became the top-selling video game in U.S. history. Microsoft also announced that it has sold 10 million Kinect controllers.

Overall, the Xbox 360 was the top-selling console of the month. The Wii came in second, followed by the PlayStation 3. NPD no longer releases specific sales numbers for hardware or software. Microsoft said that it sold 535,000 Xbox 360 consoles last month (up 27 percent over the month prior), while Nintendo reported selling 454,000 Wii units, and Sony (is estimated to have) moved around 400,000 units (Sony did not release sales data).

The five top-selling games in the U.S. were Call of Duty: Black Ops, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Just Dance 2, NBA 2k11, and Dead Space 2.

Portable systems such as DSi and PSP fell 27 percent during the month.

Source: Digital Trends

Comments

Re: NPD: Call of Duty: Black Ops The Top-Selling Game of ...

Problem is, from what I've heard at least, is that they only include retail sales and never digital sales. If we counted digital sales, would it still be on top?

----------

Living in Canada can be a very good thing, you know. We enjoy the universal healthcare and gun-free environment of an European country while getting all of our games released at the same time as in the US.

Living in Canada is awesome. We enjoy the universal healthcare and gun-free environment of a European country while getting all of our games released at the same time as the US.

Matthew Wilsonmetaphorically speaking of course04/17/2015 - 9:40pm