EA's Frank Gibeau Loves Fox News

March 15, 2011 -

Or more succinctly, he loves the buzz generated when the news network marks a game as "controversial."

Gibeau said that it can be a boon to have buzz - positive or negative - when trying to launch a new IP. He is speaking of Bulletstorm, which Fox News dubbed "the worst game" ever made in an editorial masquerading as a news story. Gibeau says that, while he does not agree with Fox News on its opinion of Bulletstorm, he does appreciate the exposure. He also thinks that developers should not be afraid of a little controversy, as long as it is not gratuitous.

Gibeau was not concerned about the Fox News furor affecting sales either, because the network's viewership / readership is obviously not the demographic the game is targeting. Controversy from networks like Fox tend to motivate gamers, not social conservatives.

He closed by saying that the Fox News coverage of sex scenes in Mass Effect certainly didn't hurt sales of that game - in fact, it probably helped. The only controversy that saw EA backpedal was the Taliban in Medal of Honor multiplayer, which the company tweaked slightly to appease various complaining Janes..

Source: IndustryGamers by way of The Escapist

Comments

Re: EA's Frank Gibeau Loves Fox News

I always suspected that EA was taking advantage of Fox News when the Taliban issue came about...  it had marketing stunt all over it... and I am proud of... for finally making Fox usefull.

Re: EA's Frank Gibeau Loves Fox News

"Gibeau was not concerned about the Fox News furor affecting sales either, because the network's viewership / readership is obviously not the demographic the game is targeting."

"The only controversy that saw EA backpedal was the Taliban in Medal of Honor multiplayer, which the company tweaked slightly to appease various complaining Janes.."

Those "complaining Janes" weren't going to buy your game anyway so why kowtow to them?

Andrew Eisen