EA's Frank Gibeau Loves Fox News

March 15, 2011 -

Or more succinctly, he loves the buzz generated when the news network marks a game as "controversial."

Gibeau said that it can be a boon to have buzz - positive or negative - when trying to launch a new IP. He is speaking of Bulletstorm, which Fox News dubbed "the worst game" ever made in an editorial masquerading as a news story. Gibeau says that, while he does not agree with Fox News on its opinion of Bulletstorm, he does appreciate the exposure. He also thinks that developers should not be afraid of a little controversy, as long as it is not gratuitous.

Gibeau was not concerned about the Fox News furor affecting sales either, because the network's viewership / readership is obviously not the demographic the game is targeting. Controversy from networks like Fox tend to motivate gamers, not social conservatives.

He closed by saying that the Fox News coverage of sex scenes in Mass Effect certainly didn't hurt sales of that game - in fact, it probably helped. The only controversy that saw EA backpedal was the Taliban in Medal of Honor multiplayer, which the company tweaked slightly to appease various complaining Janes..

Source: IndustryGamers by way of The Escapist

Comments

Re: EA's Frank Gibeau Loves Fox News

I always suspected that EA was taking advantage of Fox News when the Taliban issue came about...  it had marketing stunt all over it... and I am proud of... for finally making Fox usefull.

Re: EA's Frank Gibeau Loves Fox News

"Gibeau was not concerned about the Fox News furor affecting sales either, because the network's viewership / readership is obviously not the demographic the game is targeting."

"The only controversy that saw EA backpedal was the Taliban in Medal of Honor multiplayer, which the company tweaked slightly to appease various complaining Janes.."

Those "complaining Janes" weren't going to buy your game anyway so why kowtow to them?

Andrew Eisen

Poll

Have you visited a video game arcade in the last year?:

MechaTama31I sure have. Dorky's barcade in Tacoma, WA.08/20/2014 - 5:56pm
Matthew WilsonI have not been to a arcade in years. I know arcades are still big in japan.08/20/2014 - 5:38pm
Sleaker@AE - Ah no it's called GroundKontrol - I was just referring to it as a Bar-Arcade.08/20/2014 - 4:39pm
Andrew EisenStill looking for confirmation that High Moon Studios (dev behind the PS3/360 versions) isn't working on it.08/20/2014 - 4:38pm
ZenGotcha.08/20/2014 - 4:37pm
Andrew EisenI already updated the story with it!08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
Zenhttp://www.gonintendo.com/s/235574-treyarch-isn-t-working-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-for-wii-u-either08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
ZenLet me send the link for the Tweet as well...they state Treyarch is not working on it. Grabbing it now.08/20/2014 - 4:34pm
Andrew EisenWhere does it say that "NO dev is working on it"?08/20/2014 - 4:33pm
ZenHere's the link for my last comment: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/20/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-not-coming-to-wii-u08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
ZenWell, Call of Duty is skipping Wii U completely it seems...they updated that NO dev is working on it. Great way to just skip a market.08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
Andrew EisenYeah, Dave and Busters back in 2011 was the last time for me.08/20/2014 - 4:16pm
ZenWell, I tried lol. We just got a Dave and Busters on the beach but haven't been there yet...may go this weekend.08/20/2014 - 3:52pm
Andrew EisenIt's called The Bar-Arcade? Missed opportunity. I would have gone with Barcade.08/20/2014 - 3:25pm
SleakerThe Bar-Arcade however did have a lot of good pinball machines, they were however always taken as the place was packed..08/20/2014 - 1:17pm
Sleakerso I've been to an Arcade-Bar, not that great of a place has some okay machines, but generally over-packed. And then all the kid-friendly ones have is ticket-games nothing actually good unfortunately :(08/20/2014 - 1:14pm
Andrew EisenIf it has an area dedicated to arcade machines, I'd say it counts. Arcade machine in your house though, nope.08/20/2014 - 12:16pm
ZenDoes it count if you have actual arcade machines in your house?08/20/2014 - 12:01pm
E. Zachary KnightWith the current poll, I guess it all depends on how one defines "arcade". If Chuck E Cheese or similar multipurpose businesses count, then that is a yes for me.08/20/2014 - 11:59am
ZenLet the ax fall Sleaker...lessons MUST be learned...08/20/2014 - 11:44am