Lorne Lanning and Spencer Halpin Headline New Media Film Festival

March 16, 2011 -

Lorne Lanning (Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey), and Spencer Halpin (director of the documentary MORAL KOMBAT) will be joining founder/director Susan Johnston for the second Annual New Media Film Festival, to be held May 20-21. Showcasing the best in new media and featuring award nominated and winning filmmakers, the New Media Film Festival is dedicated to the creation, development, and distribution of new media content in all forms and across all platforms.

Spencer Halpin's Moral Kombat is a documentary that offers both those for and against video games a chance to speak their minds. The documentary explores whether violent games should be banned or be protected as free speech under the First Amendment. Lorne Lanning is the creator of the Xbox launch title Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey and co-founder of the video game development company Oddworld Inhabitants.

Both will be taking part in a Q&A to discuss their work, as well as violence in video games. The New Media Film Festival, sponsored in part by Final Draft and Showbiz Software, will be taking place at Los Angeles Film School May 20-21st. Tckets are on sale now and submissions are being accepted at www.NewMediaFilmFestival.com until May 10.

[Full Disclosure: Spencer Halpin is related to Hal Halpin, president of the ECA. GamePolitics is an ECA publication.]

Comments

Re: Lorne Lanning and Spencer Halpin Headline New Media ...

quick note: the xbox launch title was Munch's Odyseey

Also why have i heard nothing from oddworld Inhabitants in far too long? get cracking guys.

MechaTama31Yikes, even with the massive new shoutbox, it still overflowed since I checked this afternoon.05/06/2015 - 11:25pm
Mattsworknameall I know is that whatever else it is, its gonna look good, cause the tech nowadays means you can do so much more with it.05/06/2015 - 9:39pm
Andrew EisenI hope Star Wars hooks me at some point. I'd love to be a fan again.05/06/2015 - 8:54pm
Wonderkarpme and my GF and Brother are going for Star Wars when it releases. We booked everything the moment the release date was announced.05/06/2015 - 8:35pm
Matthew WilsonI went as a kid. no real desire to go back.05/06/2015 - 8:34pm
Andrew EisenI'll go there someday. Just don't have the money or time right now. Need someone to go with too and that makes it even more of a logistical challenge.05/06/2015 - 8:32pm
Wonderkarpthis year I'm going to Disney World so I cant wait till Winter.05/06/2015 - 8:30pm
WonderkarpWinter is the worse....for my wallet05/06/2015 - 8:30pm
Andrew EisenWinter is the worst for me. Especially around Christmas time.05/06/2015 - 8:26pm
Wonderkarpknow what I hate? Month of May. my Sinus's are on fire.05/06/2015 - 8:25pm
Andrew EisenIn other news, I just realized what a mistake it was to start my 30 Days of Netflix project on YouTube the same month Age of Ultron came out.05/06/2015 - 8:24pm
Goth_SkunkI know. :P05/06/2015 - 8:13pm
Andrew EisenGoth - Great. Just don't be a dick about it! (not aimed at you)05/06/2015 - 8:13pm
Matthew Wilson@goth do it in a reasonable manner thought. do not harass her.05/06/2015 - 8:13pm
Mattsworknamelots of gamers fall into that p roblem, as do some feminists and other grooups05/06/2015 - 8:11pm
Goth_SkunkI think when someone is as influential as Sarkeesian is, having and espousing that opinion is dangerous. It has to be challenged. She has to be told, 'No, you're wrong about this.' And her influence should suffer as a result.05/06/2015 - 8:11pm
Mattsworknamegg has its bad actors and most moderate ggs dislike or outright work against them. be careful not to let your own hate or bias make you act like those you accuse05/06/2015 - 8:10pm
Andrew EisenMatt - Hell, sometimes minorities (peoples, opinions, whatever) themselves are just so damn scary to a number of the majority that they get marginalized whether there were so called bad actors or not.05/06/2015 - 8:09pm
Mattsworknamemechacrash, my point was that groups get marked by the actions of minoritys among them. as andrew points out, this isn't just feminist or gg, it's universal due to the wide spread use of social media05/06/2015 - 8:07pm
Andrew EisenI meant there's nothing wrong with having that opinion, not that it's completely unassailable. It's certainly not.05/06/2015 - 8:07pm