Judge Greenlights $200 Million Activision-EA Lawsuit

March 17, 2011 -

California Superior Court Judge Elihu Berle has ruled (without commenting on the merits of the case) that Activision has provided enough evidence to allow its $400 million lawsuit against Electronic Arts to go forward. The case is tied to Infinity Ward founders Jason West and Vince Zampella. A trial is tentatively scheduled to begin sometime in May.

Activision has accused EA of helping West and Zampella breach their contract, that EA received confidential information from the Infinity Ward founders, and that the duo held back the release of Modern Warfare 2 DLC to benefit the release of an EA game. Activision added EA to its long-running legal battle with West and Zempella as counter-claim to their lawsuit. West and Zampella filed a $36 million lawsuit against Activision, claiming they had been let go to avoid making royalty payments on Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Around 38 other former Infinity Ward employees added themselves as plaintiffs alongside West and Zampella, accusing Activision of holding the development team "hostage" by withholding agreed payments until the completion of Modern Warfare 3.

Expect this case to be a blood bath no matter how it turns out.

Source: GI.biz

Comments

Re: Judge Greenlights $200 Million Activision-EA Lawsuit

It's like a fight between Satan and Jack Thompson. No matter who wins, everyone else loses.

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

http://grifsgamereviews.blogspot.com My video game review site.

Re: Judge Greenlights $200 Million Activision-EA Lawsuit

I hate to say this but Activision and EA are both huge, corporate, and EVIL.

Re: Judge Greenlights $200 Million Activision-EA Lawsuit

200/400...

Re: Judge Greenlights $200 Million Activision-EA Lawsuit

I hope Activision loses big time in this case, they need to be taken downa few pegs.

Re: Judge Greenlights $200 Million Activision-EA Lawsuit

Take them down EA, take them down, and yes, I hate to say I'm rooting for EA giving their SecuRom shinagins, but unfortunly, they're the lesser of two evils in this case.

Re: Judge Greenlights $200 Million Activision-EA Lawsuit

I'm rooting for West and Zampella (and begrudginly EA.)

Regardless of whatever West and Zampella did or did not do, the other developers at Infinity Ward did not deserve the treatment Activision/Kotick gave them.

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

Andrew EisenThe story you just linked to? The story you asked if anyone had seen? Yes, THAT obnoxiousness. I've heard it parroted for nearly two years now.11/27/2014 - 7:57pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: That shes an ex con man?11/27/2014 - 7:54pm
Andrew EisenI've heard the same obnoxious horse poo for years. It's nothing new.11/27/2014 - 7:45pm
ZippyDSMleeAlso anyone see this? http://guardianlv.com/2014/11/anita-sarkeesian-unmasked-feminist-icon-or-con-artist/11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
ZippyDSMleeEvil within is a badly designed game.11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
Andrew EisenSure but you said "widens," hence my confusion. Looking into it, yep, there's a tweak to completely re-frame the image, adding more info at the top and bottom. You apparently need a fairly beefy rig to keep it running smooth when you do that though.11/27/2014 - 6:48pm
Matthew Wilsonthere is vertical fov, not just horizontal fov11/27/2014 - 6:38pm
Andrew EisenWell, you can widen it to 3:1 or even 10:1 but I don't know why you'd want to. From what I understand it's the missing visual info at the top and bottom that some object to, not that there isn't enough on either side.11/27/2014 - 6:36pm
Matthew WilsonI think it widenss the fov, so you get to see more.11/27/2014 - 6:31pm
Andrew EisenI don't see how as doing so would not add any visual information to the top or bottom of the screen.11/27/2014 - 6:04pm
Matthew Wilsonfrom what I read, getting rid of the black bars and stretching it out made for a better play experience.11/27/2014 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenFrom what I hear, there's a ton of "look up and shoot at the guys above you" stuff in the game that the wider frame doesn't accommodate such actions well.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Andrew EisenHaving a game run in scope is not necessarily a bad thing but like any aspect ratio, you have to compose your shots correctly.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Evil Within was pretty bad and to make it worse the way the screen size made it hard for you to see even on a big screen it really hurt the game. Being Artistic is great but when you focus on art rather than what sells you run the risk of that happen11/27/2014 - 5:33pm
Matthew WilsonI kinda hope this is not true. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/nintendo_might_not_be_making_more_gamecube_controller_adapters_at_the_moment11/27/2014 - 1:34pm
Matthew WilsonI saw that. I wish people would stop preording, but sadly that will never happen.11/27/2014 - 1:26pm
Papa MidnightUbisoft has cancelled the Season Pass for Assassin's Creed: Unity (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2ni2ac/ubisoft_cancel_season_pass_for_ac_unity/)11/27/2014 - 1:08pm
NeenekoBut now I can use the christmas discount justification too,11/27/2014 - 11:46am
NeenekoI am also sorely temped by Civ:BE, mostly because I have a demo coming up and I know my productivity will tank.11/27/2014 - 11:45am
MaskedPixelanteThe Evil Within is only a month old, right? And it's already 66% off...11/27/2014 - 10:29am