Judge Greenlights $200 Million Activision-EA Lawsuit

March 17, 2011 -

California Superior Court Judge Elihu Berle has ruled (without commenting on the merits of the case) that Activision has provided enough evidence to allow its $400 million lawsuit against Electronic Arts to go forward. The case is tied to Infinity Ward founders Jason West and Vince Zampella. A trial is tentatively scheduled to begin sometime in May.

Activision has accused EA of helping West and Zampella breach their contract, that EA received confidential information from the Infinity Ward founders, and that the duo held back the release of Modern Warfare 2 DLC to benefit the release of an EA game. Activision added EA to its long-running legal battle with West and Zempella as counter-claim to their lawsuit. West and Zampella filed a $36 million lawsuit against Activision, claiming they had been let go to avoid making royalty payments on Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Around 38 other former Infinity Ward employees added themselves as plaintiffs alongside West and Zampella, accusing Activision of holding the development team "hostage" by withholding agreed payments until the completion of Modern Warfare 3.

Expect this case to be a blood bath no matter how it turns out.

Source: GI.biz

Comments

Re: Judge Greenlights $200 Million Activision-EA Lawsuit

It's like a fight between Satan and Jack Thompson. No matter who wins, everyone else loses.

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

http://grifsgamereviews.blogspot.com My video game review site.

Re: Judge Greenlights $200 Million Activision-EA Lawsuit

I hate to say this but Activision and EA are both huge, corporate, and EVIL.

Re: Judge Greenlights $200 Million Activision-EA Lawsuit

200/400...

Re: Judge Greenlights $200 Million Activision-EA Lawsuit

I hope Activision loses big time in this case, they need to be taken downa few pegs.

Re: Judge Greenlights $200 Million Activision-EA Lawsuit

Take them down EA, take them down, and yes, I hate to say I'm rooting for EA giving their SecuRom shinagins, but unfortunly, they're the lesser of two evils in this case.

Re: Judge Greenlights $200 Million Activision-EA Lawsuit

I'm rooting for West and Zampella (and begrudginly EA.)

Regardless of whatever West and Zampella did or did not do, the other developers at Infinity Ward did not deserve the treatment Activision/Kotick gave them.

MechaCrashYeah, even I think IP needs to dial it back.05/22/2015 - 12:35am
Mattsworknamesays05/21/2015 - 11:17pm
Andrew EisenThat's an... interesting way to interpret that.05/21/2015 - 8:36pm
Goth_SkunkAnd re BBC vs Rockstar: Ahh. I missed that. Woops!05/21/2015 - 8:33pm
DocMelonheadYou could say that the Mary Sue only interested in Gender issues in pop culture, and they only see GamerGate as a Hate group that fight for the oppressive status quo.05/21/2015 - 8:22pm
MechaCrashWell, can't blame him for not expanding on it and missing stories here. Sealioning people demanding proof of claims and then calling them liars when they provide it is busy work!05/21/2015 - 8:20pm
Andrew EisenRe: Mary Sue - Uh, why exactly? Re: Rockstar - Yep, we reported that earlier today.05/21/2015 - 8:12pm