IED Disposal Training Using Video Games

March 18, 2011 -

American military research and manufacturing company Picatinny Arsenal, has created the Robotic Vehicle Trainer, a "realistic" video game that can be used to train soldiers to operate bomb disposal robots. Picatinny Arsenal has received a patent for "a process to safely train soldiers how to operate a variety of robots used in Iraq and Afghanistan to detonate improvised explosive devices, or IEDs."

The company created Robotic Vehicle Trainer to give soldiers a realistic simulation of IED removal in a combat environments. The game uses the same controls used for the real-world robots used in Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD).

Robotic Vehicle Trainer was created by Bernard Reger, chief of the Combat Support & Munitions Systems Branch under the Armament Research, Development and Engineering Centre (ARDEC).

"The virtual environment inserts the student into hazardous environments enabling familiarization with the robotic vehicle and EOD bomb disposal tools," Reger said. "The U.S. Army will be able to control the intellectual property of this process if it is being used by a contractor in developing robotic vehicle trainers."

The virtual operator control unit, essentially a video-game controller, is built with the same joysticks, switches, dials and display features as a "fielded robot." This gives soldiers familiarity with the touch and feel of the real controls while in training. This control unit can be connected to a laptop computer which runs the software application, allowing trainees to use the system anywhere including the classroom and the field.

Reger began working on the game and control unit in 2003 as an experiment to put the Talon robot used by EOD Soldiers into a virtual environment using America's Army.

Source: Defence Web

Comments

Re: IED Disposal Training Using Video Games

I'd call it less a video game and more a simulated training environment.  Aircraft pilots have been simulators for years.

prh99Maybe it's time to rethink your strategy if your enemy doesn't have to make stuff up.02/01/2015 - 5:01am
prh99Also if you don't like someone, harassment and scandals will only get them more attention. Zoe Quinn would probably not be as well known if not for various harassers.02/01/2015 - 5:00am
prh99Personally, I just clicked the three vertical dots the first YouTube recommended one, haven't seen one since. Too bad I can't get rid of Pewdiepie video recommendations that easily.02/01/2015 - 3:19am
prh99Just don't watch the videos, who cares what she does or doesn't do. If her audience likes it so be, if they think she's doing something she shouldn't they'll stop watching.02/01/2015 - 3:14am
Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm