Killzone 3 Controlled by Kinect

March 21, 2011 -

Nothing is impossible with a little ingenuity, some software and some technical wizardry - as evidenced in the following video. While it is a messy implementation, the demonstration in the video shows Microsoft's Kinect being used with the PlayStation 3 game Killzone 3. Hacker Shantanu Goel created a PC program to make it work on the PS3, and as the video shows, the implementation can safely be called "alpha." Even though this Kinect hack has its share of issues, it is nonetheless an interesting and unorthodox way of controlling a game that is already designed to work with move.

Comments

Re: Killzone 3 Controlled by Kinect

Now all we need is to get Move controller to work with Kinect on the 360's end (which is conceivably possible, albeit harder with Kinect's RGB camera) and we can finally get some meaningful "core" gameplay out of Kinect.

Oh, wait, no, you won't, because the Move controller doesn't have directional controls (a Dpad or joystick)

(NOTE: Yes, I know the Nav controller has them. The Move controller doesn't.).

To refresh, in order to get a meaningful Kinect experience in a 3D environment, you need the complete set of abilities of a modern world interaction device.

* Instant Response Navigation (digital or analog, preferably analog),

* Instant Response Selection (the selecting of an object to do something with), and

* Instant Response Interaction (choosing a specific thing to do with that object).

The most basic form of UI interaction, the computer mouse, does all of these things (albeit for a 2D desktop environment)

* Navigation of a 2D plane (the surface of the screen)

* Selection via left click (selects an object)

* Interaction via right click (brings up a menu of options)

(NOTE: double-left-click is just a shortcut to something in the right-click menu)

We are finally at the point where we can transition to navigation of 3D environments with the same fidelity that the computer mouse has for 2D environments.

We are finally at the point where our hands can actually be treated like HANDS in terms of selecting and interacting with a 3D environment in the same way the mouse pointer acted like a finger in a 2D environment.

...and it won't happen. Why?

Because Microsoft doesn't give a SHIT about advancing to a new HCI (Human Computer Interaction) paradigm. All they care about is THE MONEY LEBOWSKI! All they care about is making it more approachable by as many new markets as possible. Well congratulations Microsoft, you've done that. However, there's no reason you COULDN'T of ALSO made an instant-response hand-analogue device for Kinect. You didn't make one because of your GODDAMN "NO CONTROLLER REQUIRED" TAG LINE! You let MARKETING control your R&D department's goals

Thank you, you sell-outs.

It's not too late though Microsoft. You can still make a hand-analogue device for Kinect. More info about the above can be found here.

Jonathan Williamson

Jonathan Williamson

Re: Killzone 3 Controlled by Kinect

Thanks, but no thanks.

I'd rather play with my remote.

Re: Killzone 3 Controlled by Kinect

You might want to think a little "out of the box" on this one. His goal is not to make a Kinect Controller for killzone. he's got an XBox peripheral working on the PS3. Kilzone is just the game he's working with to get the bugs ironed out.

Poll