BioWare Warns of Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Scams

March 22, 2011 -

BioWare is warning that a number of ongoing scams to get into the Star Wars: The Old Republic beta are underway, and that would-be participants should be cautious. In a post on the game's official web site BioWare warned users to be careful of anyone claiming to "sell beta accounts."

"It has come to our attention that there are multiple individuals and sites claiming to sell testing accounts, 'beta keys', or other offers of access to our Game Testing Program," community manager Allison Berryman said on the SWTOR forums.

"All of these offers are false. BioWare is not issuing invites to Game Testing via any method other than those we outline here on SWTOR.com. We must caution you that these offers are often scams designed to steal your money, credit card information, or identity." BioWare added that selling of beta accounts is strictly prohibited for obvious reasons.

"We closely monitor the activities of all accounts involved in the Game Testing Program, and are quick to notice accounts that change hands. In the event that an account in the Game Testing Program does change ownership, we immediately take action to the fullest extent possible, including permanently banning the account from the service."

Further, anyone that receives such an offer should disregard it. A genuine and free beta invite will come from no-reply@bioware.swtor.com, so keep that in mind. You can also report scams by sending an email to bwacommunitysupport@bioware.com.

Source: SWTOR.com by way of C&VG