School Kid Reports on Game Addiction, Phones Nintendo

March 28, 2011 -

As part of an annual BBC project where school kids get to produce their own news reports, William (last name not provided) from Tendring Technology College in Essex decided to research video game addiction.  What did his research entail?  Interviews with:

-His school guidance counselor: “It’s estimated that 3/5 of all under sixteens actually have some sort of addiction to a gaming machine.”

-A classmate: [I play video games] usually six or seven [hours per day] because there’s so much to do.  That’s what average people do...  It’s not like thirty or forty years ago when people used to play outside.”

-And his mom: [Game addiction] does effect family life, yes, because it is a struggle to get you out of your room.”

Oh, and he phoned Nintendo UK’s Head of Communications, Robert Saunders who told him:

“We haven’t at Nintendo received any complaints directly in the UK on [game addiction] but we are aware of it.  It’s potentially an issue for all people who play video games or indeed anybody who picks up any hobby and starts to fixate on it obsessively.”

Saunders went on to say that Nintendo advises all players to take a 15 minute break after every hour of play and asks parents to supervise their kids’ gaming habits.

William concluded, “games are fun but if you spend too much time on them, they can cause serious problems.”

Like your mom having to drag your uncooperative butt out of your room to spend time with the family.

Watch William’s video report at BBC News.

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Contributing Editor Andrew Eisen

Comments

Re: School Kid Reports on Game Addiction, Phones Nintendo

"It’s estimated that 3/5 of all under sixteens actually have some sort of addiction to a gaming machine.”

Well, he's got the passive voice part of journalism covered, anyway.

Estimated by whom?

Re: School Kid Reports on Game Addiction, Phones Nintendo

Better than FOX News!

Re: School Kid Reports on Game Addiction, Phones Nintendo

"games are fun but if you spend too much time on them, they can cause serious problems."

Well, this is about as detailed as the nonsense the 'professional' media reports. What problems? How are they related to games? Are games the cause, or are they just a symptom?

And until the media feels inclined (or capable) to answer those questions, I happily discard their conclusions.

Re: School Kid Reports on Game Addiction, Phones Nintendo

You mean a kid doesn't want to stop what he's doing because it's fun? Gosh. How strange.

Re: School Kid Reports on Game Addiction, Phones Nintendo

I admire this kid's desire to become a journalist, though I hope he eventually understands the value in doing the research and using reliable sources like modern news outlets.

... Oh wait.