Tampa Student Pleads to School Shooting Plot Charges

March 28, 2011 -

An 18-year-old former Leto High School student (Tampa, Florida) has pled guilty to charges stemming for an August 2010 plot to kill faculty and students at the high school. Austin James Cook was sentenced to two years of community control (intensive supervised house arrest) and eight years of probation. A solicitation to commit murder charge was dropped. The general consensus was that Cook committed conspiracy to commit murder, but he didn't tale a charge for that.

According to reports, between March and July 2010, Cook solicited "someone" to murder "any and all employees or student body of Leto High School." He also bragged to several unnamed witnesses that he planned to blow up Leto High School and told one witness that he wanted to 'break the record' of the Columbine and Virginia Tech killings.

When police searched Cook's residence they found a .22-caliber rifle, a bow and arrow, several books about firearms, and a computer with a "Columbine High School video game." We assume the computer game in question was Super Columbine Massacre, an RPG Maker game that is freely available on multiple sites on the web.

When asked in 2010, several witnesses said that they thought what Cook was saying was a "joke" and that they did not think he was serious. Eventually one of those witnesses called a Crime Stoppers hotline to alert police.

According to the terms of his plea agreement, Cook is under a 10 p.m. - 7 a.m. curfew unless working or in school, must attend a weekly therapy session, must attend anger management classes, must stay 5,000 feet from Leto High on all sides, and must avoid consuming music, movies, television and more that may contain content that advocates violence or makes homicidal or suicidal suggestions. The last condition seems a bit over the top and unenforceable..

Source: Tampa Bay Online

Comments

Re: Tampa Student Pleads to School Shooting Plot Charges

Hi all.

It I'm reading this right, it seems that he got off rather light. Correct me if I haven't. As far as the avoid violent media part, it seems rather vague. You could count many tv shows and movies and even video games in that statement.It could prevent him from watching movies like 'Scarface', and cartoons like 'Looney Toons'. I won't even go into video games for the obvious reasons. Also how do they plan to enforce that? I"m sure someone won't be watching him in his home 24/7.

- W

edit - fixed grammar

Consumer responsibility is just as important as Corporate responsibility. So, be responsible consumers.

Re: Tampa Student Pleads to School Shooting Plot Charges

Hence GP's closing line: "The last condition seems a bit over the top and unenforceable.."

Andrew Eisen

Poll

Will Code Avarice's Paranautical Activity make its way back onto Steam?:

Andrew EisenFive Nights at Freddy's 2! Yay! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVPONdZBh6s10/22/2014 - 5:07pm
Matthew Wilsonyou guys know he doesnt work for ea anymore?10/22/2014 - 5:02pm
WymorenceYou forgot having to open Unity through Origin too. :p10/22/2014 - 4:37pm
MaskedPixelanteUnity will now be licensed out half finished, with remaining tools to be sold back to you for 10-15 dollars a piece.10/22/2014 - 3:23pm
E. Zachary KnightNot a big fan of this news, but Unity3D's CEO is stepping down and John Riccitiello steps up. http://gamasutra.com/view/news/228384/Helgason_steps_down_as_Unity_CEO_and_John_Riccitiello_steps_up.php10/22/2014 - 3:06pm
MaskedPixelanteIt's probably extremism.10/22/2014 - 12:07pm
Matthew Wilsonthat being said, they are more likely to blame religious extremists than games.10/22/2014 - 12:01pm
Matthew Wilsonlets just hope they dont try to blame video games.10/22/2014 - 12:00pm
MaskedPixelanteOh joy, Ottawa's on lockdown, this is going to be a fun couple of days...10/22/2014 - 11:56am
MaskedPixelanteAnyone have any good text replacement scripts? I want one that can censor out Breitbart links.10/22/2014 - 11:35am
james_fudgeMilo and I are not BFFs. I tried, man!10/22/2014 - 11:33am
ZippyDSMleequiknkold:you too eh? 0-o10/22/2014 - 10:23am
Michael ChandraI don't like bullying anymore than you do, and yes, I think you're petty. Not commenting on the sob part, because I don't know your mother and don't see why I'd insult her.10/22/2014 - 10:02am
quiknkoldif that makes me petty, then I guess I'm one petty sob10/22/2014 - 8:48am
quiknkoldwell I'm sorry Conster, Having my skull smashed in when I was 14 made me skeptical to apologies when it comes to Bullying regardless of the platform its given. I guess Bullies beat the sympathy out of me.10/22/2014 - 8:47am
ConsterOn an unrelated note, I'm missing a "heck if I know" option on the poll.10/22/2014 - 8:33am
ConsterIf someone offends a bunch of people on twitter, they should apologize on twitter, and not accepting said apology because it's "only" on twitter is petty.10/22/2014 - 8:22am
BillThe first link is 4 days old, I didn't see it until today.10/22/2014 - 8:19am
BillJust posting them for the record since they have become part of the GG narrative.10/22/2014 - 8:17am
Billhttp://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/10/21/Incredibly-GamerGate-is-winning-but-you-won-t-read-that-anywhere-in-the-terrified-liberal-media10/22/2014 - 8:14am