Trip Hawkins vs. the IRS

March 28, 2011 -

Trip Hawkins, a founder of EA and the CEO of social and mobile game maker Digital Chocolate apparently owes the Internal Revenue Service $20 million. According to a Forbes report, Hawkins tried to use a personal bankruptcy to nullify the debt but a judge rejected it. U.S. District Court judge Jeffrey S. White upheld a lower bankruptcy court ruling related to tax shelters Hawkins has used to hide the personal wealth he gained from founding Electronic Arts nearly three decades ago.

Judge White said in his ruling that Hawkins knew he was insolvent after the IRS disallowed his tax shelters but "continued to spend money extravagantly with knowledge of his (federal and state) tax liabilities." The judge added that "Hawkins planned to defeat his taxes via bankruptcy and continue living the lifestyle to which he had grown accustomed."

You can read a decent accounting of Hawkins' case on VentureBeat. The short story is that, according to Forbes, Hawkins went out of his way to avoid paying his IRS debt and paid very little of it down while still living an extravagant lifestyle.

Source: VentureBeat

Comments

Re: Trip Hawkins vs. the IRS

Well I guess Trip... *dons sunglasses* Is gonna have a nice fall.

Re: Trip Hawkins vs. the IRS

Well, I guess that explains a few things. Namely, that retarded online pass.

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

http://grifsgamereviews.blogspot.com My video game review site.

Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenIf that's true, maybe she's willing to lose her tax exempt status by merchandising. So? Also not a problem with her Kickstarter. And no, I don't have to be a rep of FemFreq to point out how nonsensical, irrelevant and untrue all this nonsense is.01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenShe doesn't say it's not her footage and she never said she'd record all her own footage. So this isn't a problem. I doubt she's said anything like "no women or non white people are critics of mine." Regardless, nothing to do with her Kickstarter.01/31/2015 - 6:41pm