Team Fortress 2 Hat Sales Raises $300K for Japan

March 30, 2011 -

According to the official Team Fortress 2 blog, over $300,000 in virtual hats have been sold - all to benefit relief efforts in Japan. The hats were introduced last week and proved a big hit among players. The three hats are the "Humanitarian's Hachimaki" ($7.99), the "Benefactor's Kanmuri" ($19.99) and the "Magnanimous Monarch" ($99.99). Valve did not reveal exactly how many hats were sold but $300,000 is a very big number by anyone's accounting. Here's the thank-you note from the TF2 blog:

"Wow. Seriously, people, WOW. We knew you had it in you, but we're still amazed you've raised over $300,000 so far.

Take a BOW, TF2 community -- because that is an incredible, frankly astounding, amount of money from a dedicated number of gamers, to one heck of a lot of people in some real need right now. Anytime someone gives you guff about something negative in gaming, you go ahead and point them to this post, because here's some late-breaking damn news: they are wrong and gamers are generous and awesome."

These hats will continue to be available until April 6, so if you have not purchased one, go buy it and help our brothers and sisters in Japan.

Source: Kotaku

Comments

Re: Team Fortress 2 Hat Sales Raises $300K for Japan

Well now I'll feel extra warm and fuzzy as I run around in my silly hats.

Re: Team Fortress 2 Hat Sales Raises $300K for Japan

Typo on first sentence. Or has $300,000 in "hates" been sold? I mean, I know it's an FPS, but still.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Matthew Wilsonmetaphorically speaking of course04/17/2015 - 9:40pm