NCAA President Acknowledges Inequity in Player Compensation

March 30, 2011 -

NCAA president Mark Emmert said that the organization dedicated to collegiate sports will not stray from its long-standing tenet of not directly paying college sports players.

"It’s grossly unacceptable and inappropriate to pay players … converting them from students to employees," Mark Emmert tells USA Today.

But Emmert also acknowledges that it might be time for the organization to spread some of the revenue it generates from licensing around to players in one way or another. While he is not making any promises, Emmert thinks it would be acceptable to compensate players in other ways such as increasing the amount of money paid towards scholarships and other college expenses.

“I will make clear,” he says, “that I want this to be a subject we explore.”

Emmert says that he will tackle the topic at the NCAA’s board meetings in April.

But Emmert talks as if he has a choice. Either the NCAA figures it out on its own or players - current and former - may get the answers they want through litigation.

According to a USA Today report syndicated through the Tucson Citizen, the NCAA generates approximately $771 million a year in television licensing rights alone. This excludes video games, apparel and more.

Many others see inequality when it comes to the way the NCAA uses college athletes to make millions of dollars. North Carolina Hall of Fame basketball coach Roy Williams wonders aloud why athletic scholarships do not measure up to top academic awards, such as UNC’s Morehead-Cain scholarship. That academic award pays for travel, computers and other important extras. He would like to see the NCAA give a little bit more back to players.

"..those kids are saying, ‘Look at all this money we’re bringing in. And I have to beg, borrow and steal to get an extra meal?," says Williams.

Former NCAA head Cedric Dempsey agrees:

"It puts intercollegiate athletics in a precarious position," says former NCAA executive director Cedric Dempsey. "When you see the money and the kind of salaries you see now and the only group in the system that hasn’t received any additional funding is at the student-athlete level."

You can read a more detailed report of the pros and cons of compensating NCAA players here. It is an interesting discussion and one that all involved agree needs to be addressed.

On a related note, HBO's Real sports will explore the topic at length tonight in prime time special.

Posted in

Comments

Re: NCAA President Acknowledges Inequity in Player ...

Not only would I like to see what the NCAA is proposing here take place. I would also like to see at least 10% of profits go to a national account used to bring smaller colleges student resources like books / housing / equipment / TEACHER PAY up to par with the bigger colleges resources.

The colleges directly profit off of these kids athletic talent. It's about time they spread the love to make colleges around the nation better.

ZippyDSMleehttp://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=35311/24/2014 - 9:46am
WonderkarpDay 4 of my Amiibos. Still Unopened. Now pegged too a wall. I just love the packaging too much11/24/2014 - 8:12am
PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm