Survey: Gaming Number One on Most Tablets

April 11, 2011 -

A new survey says that the number one use of tablets is gaming. Not reading e-books, going on Facebook and Twitter or watching movies. Games and gaming. According to a new survey conducted by Google's AdMob subsidiary, 84 percent of tablet owners (like iPad) use the device to play games. Around 78 percent say they use it for "searching for information" and 74 percent for checking and sending emails.

The data comes from a new Google survey which polled 1400 tablet owners. The survey puts "reading the news" as the fourth most common activity at 61 percent, followed by social networking (56 percent), music and videos (51 percent), e-books (46 percent), shopping (42 percent), and other (19 percent). The full report showed that 43 percent spent more time on their tablet than with their desktop or laptop PC. A third of respondents also said that they spent more time on their tablets than watching television.

A total of 68 percent spent at least an hour a day using their tablet, with 82 percent using it at home - mostly on weekends and in the evening. Over three quarters said that their desktop or laptop PC usage decreased since obtaining a tablet, with 28 percent describing the device as their primary computer.

Source: Google via GI.biz

Comments

Re: Survey: Gaming Number One on Most Tablets

This begs the question of whether people really need a tablet computer or just a wireless display/input device that connects to and controls your PC. It would certainly reduce the hardware limitations if the primary function of the device was to display and send input commands.

-Greevar

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

Re: Survey: Gaming Number One on Most Tablets

While they may use it mostly at home, they still use it away from home. If it was tied to a computer, it would be useless outside the house. So having it be its own unit is an important part of owning one of these.

E. Zachary Knight
Divine Knight Gaming

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

InfophileAged well plot-wise, I mean. The animation is showing its age, but if you don't mind that, the plot holds up quite well03/27/2015 - 6:52am
InfophileRobotech may be 30 years old, but it's actually aged pretty well. Plus, one of the three Japanese franchises that went into making it, Macross, is coming out with a new series soon. So it's far from forgotten or out-of-date03/27/2015 - 6:50am
ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm