NZ Pushing for Three Strikes Copyright Infringement Laws

April 13, 2011 -

According to TorrentFreak, New Zealand’s government is in a huge rush to push through legislation that will target citizens who share copyrighted material online without rightsholder permission over the internet. The Copyright (Infringing File Sharing) Amendment Bill, which unanimously passed its first reading in Parliament in April 2010, will put in place a 3 strikes-style rule, where Internet service providers will be required to send warning letters to alleged infringers at the request of rights holders.

New Zealand’s "Copyright Tribunal" (the group that will oversee this new three strikes rule) will have the power to rule on cases of "repeat infringement" and will be given the authority to hand down fines up to a maximum of $15,000 ($11,733 US). That's a lot of dough and, while I’m not familiar with the laws in New Zealand there must be some sort of rule about due process and the ability to for one defend oneself against false accusations.. Repeat offenders that break the law in a six-month period could even face an Internet disconnection.

Green MP Gareth Hughes who wasn’t aware the Bill was coming up for a vote today, thinks some aspects of the law may go too far.

"It really surprised me because we haven’t debated it since November," he said.

Of course that does not mean he is opposed to the rest of the bill or what it intends to create. Hughes later confirmed with TorrentFreak that "he would request an amendment to remove the suspension clause but a spokesperson for Commerce Minister Simon Power said it would be opposed." While the Greens are against disconnections, they support the Bill in principle.

The bill is expected to pass its third and final stage during the next few hours, according to TorrentFreak.

Source: TorrentFreak

Comments

Re: NZ Pushing for Three Strikes Copyright Infringement Laws

Last I knew, New Zealand's internet services already lack behind most of the rest of the first world. It probably hasn't improved.

And it's apparently going to get much, much worse.

Re: NZ Pushing for Three Strikes Copyright Infringement Laws

Our net connection isn't too bad, and some companies are setting up nation-wide fibre-optic cables, so the connections will just get better.

As fo the laws, they've passed, they come into effect September 1st, and they suck. I'm not sure how they're going to measure what counts; if I download music from YouTube, does that count? How about if I'm using file sharing software to download free stuff and no illegal movies/music?

We're not sure what the chilling effect will be on net use yet, but we've got some time to amend the bill.

Re: NZ Pushing for Three Strikes Copyright Infringement Laws

NZ doesn't need the legislation nearly as much as Australia does. At least, Australia needs it if they decide to keep listening to the ACL and denying an R18+ rating system for their games. Piracy is through the roof because apparently freedom of choice ends when someone reaches 18 years old in Australia.

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

http://grifsgamereviews.blogspot.com My video game review site.

Re: NZ Pushing for Three Strikes Copyright Infringement Laws

That copyright tribunal part has me kinda concerned about this law. I'm unfamiliar with their court system so it could be related with the way they organize it but it still makes me think that it is a seperate organization from the court system and following a different set of rules.

WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am
prh99I am not a fan of QTEs. Toggle joystick to break away from an enemy is ok...01/24/2015 - 12:26am