How Sand Mantis and a PS2 Controller Help Deal with Waste

April 14, 2011 -

Here's an interesting story about real world technology that has a minor connection to gaming. Developed for Richland, Washington-based CH2M Hill, the technology is called the Sand Mantis, and it is described by its creator as a new tool that takes rock salt-based waste, and turns it into a fine, powdery waste.

The technology, which is used inside giants tanks, is controlled using a PlayStation 2 controller. After the Rock Salt waste is smashed into a fine powder, it can easily be sucked out of the tank and disposed of. The technology helps CH2M Hill reach their goal of less than 2,700 gallons of waste per tank. It will also reduces cleanup costs; the $2.7 million dollar tool replaces the original $12 million per tank cost estimate. CH2M Hill is best known for creating engineering solutions for waste management and water treatment.

"We were first discussing this technology, the original Salt Mantis technology last spring," said Pat Fisher, inventor of the Sand Mantis. We were able to show them a working model in 6 weeks."

While development was relatively quick, getting it into a tank is the hardest part.

"Everything has to fit down a 12 inch riser, and then it has to reconfigure itself so that it can then walk around the tank and take the pump to any part of the tank," said Raymond.

Source: KNDU

Comments

Re: How Sand Mantis and a PS2 Controller Help Deal with ...

Sand Mantis was my favorite Mega Man X boss.

Re: How Sand Mantis and a PS2 Controller Help Deal with ...

I may not agree with you on a lot, Thad, but that was freaking awesome. Kudos to you, sir.

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

http://grifsgamereviews.blogspot.com My video game review site.

prh99Maybe it's time to rethink your strategy if your enemy doesn't have to make stuff up.02/01/2015 - 5:01am
prh99Also if you don't like someone, harassment and scandals will only get them more attention. Zoe Quinn would probably not be as well known if not for various harassers.02/01/2015 - 5:00am
prh99Personally, I just clicked the three vertical dots the first YouTube recommended one, haven't seen one since. Too bad I can't get rid of Pewdiepie video recommendations that easily.02/01/2015 - 3:19am
prh99Just don't watch the videos, who cares what she does or doesn't do. If her audience likes it so be, if they think she's doing something she shouldn't they'll stop watching.02/01/2015 - 3:14am
Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm