Stardock Comments on GamersGate Criticism

April 14, 2011 -

Brad Wardell, president and CEO of Stardock (the company that used to own Impulse before selling it off to GameStop), has struck back at GamersGate for comments its CEO said about Impulse. GamersGate CEO Theo Bergquist recently described Stardock's Impulse digital distribution service as "an outdated distribution platform", and implied that the recent purchase by GameStop had been at "a bargain."

Speaking to IndustryGamers, Wardell suggested that the comments from GamersGate were simply a competitor throwing punches at another competitor.

"In my experience, especially when a company CEO is criticizing another company, you usually learn a lot more about the company doing the criticizing," said Wardell. "I'm not a marketer but I know enough from being in this industry for years, and usually you punch up. You don't punch down."

"His criticism of our technology is kind of a 'neener- neener' thing. He runs a web store and there's nothing wrong with that, but technologically Impulse and GamersGate are not the same sort of thing. But what surprised me the most was his comments about the revenue, suggesting that Impulse wasn't that valuable," Wardell continued.

"I assumed that everyone was incredibly profitable at this... so it surprised me and made me wonder if maybe these profit margins are only relevant to digital distributors who are running actual platforms like Impulse or Steam, where the entire experience is provided. Steam and Impulse are essentially the App Store model whereas GamersGate is more like Direct2Drive."

"I would have assumed if GamersGate was getting bought that they would get tens of millions of dollars from it, even though we're pretty sure we have a larger market share than they do. So it made me question if GamersGate is doing as well as I assumed they were," concluded Wardell.

Source: GI.biz

Comments

Re: Stardock Comments on GamersGate Criticism

O NO U DI-N'T!

Poll

Did Microsoft pay too much ($2.5 billion) for Minecraft developer Mojang?:

Craig R.Have the GamerGate mouthbreathers left yet?09/16/2014 - 7:56pm
prh99Right up to the Bell Gargoyles.09/16/2014 - 7:05pm
james_fudgeI'm a huge Dark Souls fan :)09/16/2014 - 1:13pm
james_fudgeThe first part of Dark Souls is pretty easy.09/16/2014 - 1:13pm
Neeneko@AE - it is still better then Return of Kings. I wonder if they know each other...09/16/2014 - 1:05pm
Neeneko@IanC - well, considering their entire goal is disseminating information, it kinda makes sense.09/16/2014 - 1:04pm
Andrew EisenThat depends on how much longer before YOU start getting good!09/16/2014 - 12:31pm
MaskedPixelanteSo, I've been stuck in the opening section of Dark Souls for about two years now... how much longer before it starts getting good?09/16/2014 - 12:29pm
Michael ChandraI was wondering the same thing while reading it.09/16/2014 - 11:44am
james_fudgeSadly, no.09/16/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenThat's a satire site, like the Onion, right? Please? Please tell me that's a satire site?09/16/2014 - 11:10am
james_fudgehis readers are.09/16/2014 - 10:36am
IanCWikileaks will jump on any agenda for publicity.09/16/2014 - 10:22am
NeenekoWow. This is the first I have heard of the guy. What a jerk.09/16/2014 - 10:14am
quiknkoldmaskedpixelante : Milo Yiannopolous isnt really old.09/16/2014 - 9:57am
MaskedPixelanteBreitbart in a nutshell: Racist old white men saying stupid things.09/16/2014 - 9:54am
james_fudgequiknkold, that's bile. Read the comments and you'll get a taste of that site's audience.09/16/2014 - 9:17am
ZippyDSMleeSo gamer gate will be know as the time all the 13 year old sexist racists assholes came out of the wood work and attacked anything with more brains than themsevles. 0_o09/16/2014 - 9:09am
E. Zachary KnightAwwwww. I feel so special. I have someone on Twitter shaming me for being anti-gamergate.09/16/2014 - 9:06am
quiknkoldhttp://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2014/09/15/the-gamergate-movement-is-making-terrific-progress-don-t-stop-now09/16/2014 - 8:54am