Digital Extremes Get Millions from Canadian Government

April 18, 2011 -

According to a Develop report, Canadian development studio Digital Extremes has been given $2.5 million to move its office and create more jobs. The money comes from the Canadian government. The "provincial grant" allows the studio to add 30 new employees to its 150 strong staff, and to build new game engine technology. Digital Extremes has been tapped to create the next The Darkness game - the first game was created Swedish studio Starbreeze.

A news story from IFPress also reports that the studio will invest $33 million of its own money into its new game engine.

"Right now we can’t hire people fast enough," studio founder James Schmalz said.

This isn’t the first time Digital Extremes enjoyed the benefits of government money; in 2008 the company shared a $1 million dollar grant with Silicon Knights from the Ontario Media Development Corporation to create new game prototypes.

Source: Develop

Posted in

E. Zachary KnightSpoilers contained inside, but this is a great look at Black Widow's characterisation in Avengers. http://io9.com/black-widow-this-is-why-we-can-t-have-nice-things-170233303705/05/2015 - 9:57pm
WonderkarpWithout losing P.T.. Which is an awesome game.05/05/2015 - 9:04pm
WonderkarpDamnit. Not only is the P.T. Demo leaving the PSN, you also cant Redownload it! Meaning if you Delete it, its gone. http://nichegamer.com/2015/05/you-better-keep-that-silent-hills-demo-installed-you-cant-re-download-it/ Now I cant upgrade my HD05/05/2015 - 9:04pm
MattsworknameIm actaully glad to see anita doing posistive videos, I had lots of issues with her older FF stuff, but her more recent stuff is alot better and more of what I want to see, positive female charecters getting praised.05/05/2015 - 6:01pm
WonderkarpThat is one hell of a prediction from EA. I dont know if it'll hit that, but still...Battlefront...though a crippled battlefront. few games I can imagine could hit that salesnumber. Battlefront is one of them.05/05/2015 - 5:52pm
MechaCrashI wonder how much of the game they'll hold back as DLC.05/05/2015 - 5:51pm
Andrew EisenI wonder if development went so over budget that EA HAS to announce such a lofty estimate.05/05/2015 - 5:49pm
Andrew EisenYeah, best of luck and all but that strikes me as a gross overestimate.05/05/2015 - 5:47pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.vg247.com/2015/05/05/star-wars-battlefront-sales-figures-predictions/ EA its nuts. there is no way it sells 10 million copies. I will buy that game, but come on.05/05/2015 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp Sega would have to make somethign worthwhile tho....05/05/2015 - 5:41pm
Matthew Wilson@wond dont forget creative assembly. sega still has a big pc part.05/05/2015 - 5:11pm
WonderkarpI saw that. I feel like Sega is on the verge of just becoming 100% Atlus. Atlus is selling like crazy and the buzz for Persona 5 is high. Especially in my house05/05/2015 - 4:58pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/05/05/for-first-time-ever-sega-wont-have-a-booth-at-e3/ sega is not having a both at e3 this year. yet another Japanese developer pulling back.05/05/2015 - 4:44pm
Andrew EisenSorry, got pulled away. To expand on that, I believe the NX is much too far away for Nintendo to delay Zelda until its launch.05/05/2015 - 4:39pm
Andrew EisenNo.05/05/2015 - 4:16pm
Wonderkarphey Andrew, got a question. do you think Nintendo will pull a Wii and delay Zelda onto their "new console" like they did with Twilight Princess?05/05/2015 - 4:15pm
Wonderkarpand it said it was submitted but i never saw anything05/05/2015 - 4:11pm
Wonderkarpno. i sent info regarding that "games dont make people sexist" study from Germany.05/05/2015 - 4:07pm
MGI love how people try to use "white knight" as a negative. Yes, please call me the chivalrous defender of the weak, the innocent, and the downtrodden. The reverse of calling someone the white knight means he/she is this http://tinyurl.com/o4sv8kr05/05/2015 - 4:06pm
Andrew EisenAnyway, I'm checking into the Submit News button. Were you getting an error or something?05/05/2015 - 4:06pm