Madden NFL Creative Director Leave Company

April 18, 2011 -

Ian Cummings, the man that served for nearly 11 years as the creative director for the popular football game franchise Madden NFL, has left the company. The exodus from his EA Sports gig of 11 years seems to be amicable if you believe his official statement on the matter.

Cummings recounts his climb from the ranks of the QA department all the way to creative director, and thanks fans for their support and enthusiasm over the years. Cummings last game at the studio is Madden NFL 12. Cummings' full statement can be found below:

"After nearly 11 years with Electronic Arts, I have decided to seek opportunities elsewhere. My time at EA has been an incredible ride. From my days in QA to my recent years as the Creative Director for Madden, I always found myself surrounded by the most talented people in the industry. I’ve had the privilege of helping to create world-class gaming experiences like Madden; a franchise that has touched peoples’ lives. For that I am truly grateful and I thank all those that I’ve worked with throughout the years.

I leave the Madden NFL 12 development team with confidence that it is in great hands. The feature set is something our core fans are really going to appreciate. From the improvements to core gameplay, to the additions to modes like franchise and superstar, and the innovative tech being used to overhaul presentation…Madden NFL 12 will be the best we’ve created yet. I’m amazed at how great it looks and how well it plays at this stage of development, with several months left to tune and polish.

Last, but certainly not least, I wanted to say “thank you” to our loyal and passionate fans. Without you, the Madden franchise would not be what it is today. I’ve always appreciated your feedback and unprecedented passion. Know that the team is now built to deliver the football experience that you all truly deserve. The team is set up only to succeed with the new expansion of the core football gameplay team, continued focus on web and online content, creating deeper career modes, and building games several years in advance. There is no doubt in my mind we will be seeing some revolutionary things from the Madden franchise in the future and I am happy to have played a role in helping steer the ship.

It's been a true pleasure. Time for the next challenge of my career.
"

Source: EA Sports blog by way of Kotaku

Comments

Re: Madden NFL Creative Director Leave Company

Oh my... anything that lowers the Year over Year creativness of this game is a serious hit. I mean, there is like 2% to 5 % new stuff YoY. This is not insignificant nor is this a snark. There really is that little that is new YoY for the Madden franchise.

(I will give this last years version a break though. Maybe about 10% of new changes? That sound about right everyone?)

WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am
prh99I am not a fan of QTEs. Toggle joystick to break away from an enemy is ok...01/24/2015 - 12:26am
Goth_Skunk@WonderKarp: *fistbump*01/24/2015 - 12:00am
ZippyDSMleeIts like they took the fiction from soemthing else and tried to impose it on the Turok IP 0-o01/23/2015 - 10:14pm
ZippyDSMleeuhg I mean they did not need the dumb story and needed more unreal crazy combat.01/23/2015 - 10:13pm
ZippyDSMleestyle gameplay not generic shooter stuff.01/23/2015 - 10:11pm