Playmatics Gets a $1 Million for Shadow Government

April 22, 2011 -

New York City-based social games developer Playmatics has managed to raise $1 million from several Swiss-based angel investors. The company will use the investment to further develop its social networking game Shadow Government.

Shadow Government uses real countries, political systems, and worldwide events as its key elements to allow players to build, manage, and destroy virtual nations. Playmatics is working with government-modeling software developer Millennium Institute for the project.

Along with the simulation tools, which real-world organizations have been using to test responses for real-world events, Playmatics is using economic and sustainability data to create Shadow Government. The Millennium Institute hopes this educational game will eventually be incorporated into school curricula.

Playmatics has launched several online titles since its founding two years ago, including games for Disney's The Kingdom Keepers books, AMC's Breaking Bad TV series, and the New York Public Library. It has 15 employees headed up by CEO Margaret Wallace, CCO Nick Fortugno, and CFO Phillipe Trawinka.

"We see Shadow Government advancing a future genre in gaming," said Wallace. "It's not a 'serious game,' really, because we aim to design an entertainment experience. People can use Shadow Government to destroy their own little country, or to wreak havoc where they can."

"We will be able to incorporate real world news and data, sometimes in real-time. We could take a different world-focus [with the game content] depending on what is going on in the world, asking players to create scenarios around the crisis in Japan, or the conflict in Libya, for example."

The only snag for the company could be walking that fine line between creating entertainment and offending those affected by those real-world events. More information about the game can be found at shadow-government.com

Source: Serious Games Source

Comments

Re: Playmatics Gets a $1 Million for Shadow Government

So they're basically remaking Shadow President?

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm
Andrew EisenConster - Sure, give me a few minutes.03/26/2015 - 3:05pm
Matthew Wilsonnot shocked, lets see how gencon reacts.03/26/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenAnd for those of you keeping track, Indiana's SB 101 was signed into law this morning by Gov. Pence.03/26/2015 - 10:58am
james_fudgeyeah!03/26/2015 - 9:17am